help choosing. SR/KA

KrustyCoupe

la tuya.
Driver
ok so i dont know wether to rebuild my ka and boost it or drop in a sr.
the car will be used as a daily and will see occasional track time.
as of now my ka has 161xxx on it. the distributor is held on by one bolt, most of the vc bolts are stripped (prev owner) and ive found a couple of sr's im interested. ill have to rebuild them but thats no big. i plan a oem rebuild with good bearings and a good headgasket and headstuds. i just want to see what your opinions are.
discuss.

Sr is more practical.....u can get that basic rebuild kit very cheap.....but a old as ka is a different story.......

yea the SR20 aftermarket blows away the ka's aftermarket.
and i do know the sr's take one hell of a beating. i just need a very reliable motor for school and work and the occasional countyline event.

im in the same boat

im debating wether to spend 2k rebuilding and boosting my old ka that has a spun rod bearing, or to just sell that and get an SR for 2k

i want the 2.4 liter over the 2 liter, but if a ka-t is gonna be crapping out on me every month if i drive it hard unless i spend 2+ thousand fully building it, then im not sure what im gonna do, and it would be a hell of a lot easyer to go SR

im most likely gonna buy an engine stand and rebuild the KA, since i already have one out of the car and in the garage, and i still have the new KA in to get me where i need to go

yea you already have another ka. i dont. i need my car to go to school.
and this shit is pissing me off. something keeps breaking every month.
im about to just bite the bullet and go get that sr.

id deff say the sr is a quick and easier route, it comes stock with what 220hp and a stock boost of 7 psi. but it has an aluminum block so as for future high boosting is a no go, if you rebuild the ka the stock internals can handle at least 8 lbs of boost but if you put sometime into it you can run very high boost.

yea i dont intend to run huge amounts of boost. id be fine at stock boost. maybe a little bit more. and the sr is easier lol

i need to rob a bank or someshit

Search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did paul.
i just want peoples opinions on this forum.
by the looks of it ill be going sr.
but the ka has a slight chance.

Last edited:
if you want a reliable motor that will take a beating get a sr20 and leave it stock. JoshuaS just drove his from Oregon to Miami and hit up drift events and touge on the way and the only problem we had were the tires started to show wear.

if you choose the sr lmk and ill take the ka off your hands

will do.
i mean the motor runs good. when the injectors are all ok. it has a underdrive pulley and blocked off egr and advanced timing. shit runs hard. but damn im tired of it. and i want to go boost.

SR = more practical.

In a S chassis built for DD'ing and occasional sliding, you dont wanna deal with the headaches of a KA-t. Do a SR with bolt ons and go with it.

I love Ka-t, but they are not practical. Although with minimal mods an enthalpy tuned ecu and some 550s, 300hp is easily in your pocket.

I would build a KA-t over SR anyday, but honestly KA-t is being just as much of a fanboy motor as SR's.

Build a Ka, and don't cheap on a tune get a real enthalpy and you will be fine, there is a guy here in Orlando who runs stock internals with a t3 of some sort running 19 pounds on stock internals, puts like 390 to the wheels and has lasted for the last 40K miles, he spent 600 dollars on his enthalpy tune, you will be able to beat the shit outa it every day. its all about your tune, the only reason Kas get a bad name is cause people think they can just boost it get bigger injectors and run a safc, it will last for a while "Maybe" but it will blow up sooner then later.

Back
Top Bottom