hate to be another what suspenion should i get wah wah person but...

jewbaca

Spectator
i want coilovers, i had hks super drags on my previous s14 and they were glorious even for handling.... i now have an s13 and i'm looking for what coils would best suit it.... I'm an all performance type of guy and i'm literally looking to drive a race car daily lol, its gutted and i'm finishing up the sr20 now.... i'd lke for it to handle like a champ, sliding is cool and all but i'd want for it to be alot more on the handling side.... in other words track, auto x, togue, high speed driving etc i'll probably end up sliding every once in a while for fun but thats not the main focus i have, like I've said 100x i want it to be glued to the road. my budget is probably going to be anywhere from 1k to max 1.5k but thats still a bit much, i'd like to keep it barely over 1k..... I've heard of bc coils, ryo libra, hks, cusco, megan, tein (had a bad experience), kw, STANCE, koni yellows with ground control coilovers??? apexi n1, tanabe, zeil, silk road, ka sport, godspeed, d2 coilovers and the whole lot and i'm damn confused now.... i need direction lol can anybody help?

Last edited:
Almost everyone here will tell you Stance. But if you really want it glued to the road you will need different spring rates, revalve the shocks and other suspension components.

so stance and a whole other suspension? lol :confused: or do you mean different spring rates, revalve the shocks and traction rods, sways, strut bars, underbrace etc? even so i'm looking for a handling set of coils not really drift, revalving the shocks and different springs sounds like another 500-600 bucks....

whats up with these koni shock/ground control coilover kits? are they any good?

Last edited:
anyone who tells you ground control are shit should be shot for pure ignorance.

Koni/GC will be my next suspension setup

koni 8211s with springs and a custom ground control setup.

can you let us know how we should valve our shocks according to the installation ratio too so we can evaluate every shock dyno and choose which one is best for us? Its not like every variable on the car makes a difference on shock settings when were punching the time clock.

Its trial and error, I cant make any suggestions but something with external reservoirs and independent bump and rebound control is what you should be looking for. I dont know what you can find in your price range though.

Almost everyone here will tell you Stance. But if you really want it glued to the road you will need different spring rates, revalve the shocks and other suspension components.

About the spring rate thing, our traditional 9\7 setup or w\e s chassis owners run may be a little too stiff for street tires but on the other hand they might work well with slicks. Slicks will allow the car to transfer more weight to the outside tires, especially at higher speeds then what we drift at. Depending on the track layout you might be faster with 12\10 springs because it keeps the wheels in a more static position compared to 8\6. The driver will have more control if he dose not have to fight dynamic alignment changes inherent with high wheel rates of street cars vs race chassis.

Trial and error, see what works, evaluate your needs and problem areas before you spend money so when you do spend money its going towards solving problems and going faster.

Last edited:
About the spring rate thing, our traditional 97 setup or we s chassis owners run may be a little too stiff for street tires but on the other hand they might work well with slicks. Slicks will allow the car to transfer more weight to the outside tires, especially at higher speeds then what we drift at. Depending on the track layout you might be faster with 1210 springs because it keeps the wheels in a more static position compared to 86. The driver will have more control if he dose not have to fight dynamic alignment changes inherent with high wheel rates of street cars vs race chassis.

I'm assuming though that since he is asking about what coilovers to get, he doesn't know anything about spring or wheel rates. I'm assuming its his street car on street tires. If he's running slicks with a 12/10 on the street I'd be amazed lol... that's something I would do. $1500 can def get you started, buy a few diff springs for front and rear and figure out which is best for you.

Last edited:
so you're pretty much saying stance and all the different springs with different spring rates should do the trick then?.... sweet thanks for the help guys, i've read too much of this koni/GC coil its driving me crazy (not saying its bad) i just feel safer going with a "complete" product rather than relying on my limited knowledge and screwing the whole set up, what i've basically seen is this whole koni and gc thing is basically making a 100% custom coilover kit which is cool but i'm not ready for all that... lets keep it simple lol

I personally would yea, get Stance, and buy a few different springs than what it comes with. Stance is 8front 6 rear I think, I'd maybe get a 7 and a 9 spring for front and a 5 and 7 spring for rear (Your valving will be a little off if you change spring rates than what comes with the stance, but it will get you started and maybe when you figure out a good rate you can get them revalved later on). Have fun!

Stance comes with 6, 7, 8, and 9 kg, so you can do quite a few setups. It allows you to compensate for things like an RB in the front, or relocated battery and radiator..... or even if you just prefer a tail happy car. Also remember hatches have more weight over the rear axle than coupes.

As far as ground control, they are very well researched kits and good quality. I run a lot of GC parts on my car, but my coilovers are Bilstein. My one beef is that they dont believe in the benefits of inverted struts.

At very low ride heights and low stroke, a standard damper with a thick shaft is quite strong, but on a street car with potentially 4inches+ of stroke and the likelihood of hitting things, having the lateral strength of an inverted tube is a big plus.

Add the lower unsprung mass, and cooler damper temperatures, it's crazy not to offer inverted. It's more expensive for a small company to produce though.

Almost all of the good Japanese coilovers are inverted. The best Japanese coilover I could recommend from memory would be Buddy Club. Dyno sheets prove that their adjustment actually changes compression AND rebound, (most single adjustables only change rebound), and each click shows a noticeable damping change. They are also one of the only affordable coilovers to have a decent digressive damping force curve.

Last edited:
can you let us know how we should valve our shocks according to the installation ratio too so we can evaluate every shock dyno and choose which one is best for us? Its not like every variable on the car makes a difference on shock settings when were punching the time clock.

Its trial and error, I cant make any suggestions but something with external reservoirs and independent bump and rebound control is what you should be looking for. I dont know what you can find in your price range though.

About the spring rate thing, our traditional 97 setup or we s chassis owners run may be a little too stiff for street tires but on the other hand they might work well with slicks. Slicks will allow the car to transfer more weight to the outside tires, especially at higher speeds then what we drift at. Depending on the track layout you might be faster with 1210 springs because it keeps the wheels in a more static position compared to 86. The driver will have more control if he dose not have to fight dynamic alignment changes inherent with high wheel rates of street cars vs race chassis.

Trial and error, see what works, evaluate your needs and problem areas before you spend money so when you do spend money its going towards solving problems and going faster.

That's good info!

Start w/Stance's and play w/them for a year or so, THEN get your custom setup. Or get any other coilover and order different springs and play w/them, but again, the valving will be in question when you change the springs. You can order springs from Swift anyway you want (size, rate, etc.)

Can't go wrong with stance, thats what I'm going to buy when my BC's take a shit on me

stance-octopus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom