HALP! (Tired of my car running like s**t)

Dittoz7

Spectator
Anyone knows someone that really knows there way around a KA. Problem just happens out of the blue. Sometimes it run right, sometimes it feels like it's gonna fall part.

A lot of grey and black smoke when it does start acting up.
Car can't keep idle, and suddenly just dies. (Unless you give it gas and then it sound like it running the most aggressive cam imaginable)
Hesitation when you give it gas, feels like instead of oil you're running playdoh.
Car sometime for a short period of time sounds like I have damn 2-step installed when in gear.
Shifter starts to swing crazy from side to side when in gear.
God awful smell of some kind of gas, not like gas station smell, like gas mixed with fart smell.
Gas mileage takes a dive to like 8-10mpg.

So far I've changed
Spark plugs
gas cap
fuel filter
coolant
(regular maintenance)
oil + filter
air filter
cleaned MAF + throttle body

KA has around 200-215k on it
Converted from auto to 5-speed (had the same problem when it was auto to)
Still running on the auto ecu.

A temporary solution I've seen is if you turn the car off for like 15-30 seconds and start it back up. 50% of the time it start running ok again.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

take the valve cover out and make sure everything looks good in there. idk maybe low compression, you should do a compression test

Yup change your iacv in the back of the intake mani if its a s13 ka the plugs for it should be orange or brown. If its a s14 purple I believe.

Sounds like a similar problem a friend of mine had on his s13. It turned out to be one of his injectors were bad so I would look into that.

Last edited:
I was going to say injector but if it was it would run like shit and shake all the time. It happened to me on my old s13.

Sounds like an injector problem. When it runs bad unplug each injector each one you unplug should change the idle. The one you unplug that doesn't change the idle is the one that is bad

^Idk cause I was told when you blow out black smoke your burning too much fuel. So his iacv probly took a shit and is sending too much fuel. Cause my car does it when I step on it. And my iacv is bad. Can't agree on the sounding like a cam part cause I have bigger cams and it sounds like shit. Try pulling the sensor off and cleaning it with some brake cleaner or w.e.

My coupe did it once it was blow by :/ try putting in Lucas in your motor see if it helps.

this happen to me last week sir!!! its a bad ground trust me check all your grounds i re grounded the wire and it fixed the problem now my car is running like a champ

Check ur injectors ( co-worker ) has dame problem in hes BMW car runa good some times and some it acts exactly as u describe it . Can't hide ,smoke, shaking like crazy . Check them and see if your injector are getting a signal from the ecu

^Idk cause I was told when you blow out black smoke your burning too much fuel. So his iacv probly took a shit and is sending too much fuel. Cause my car does it when I step on it. And my iacv is bad. Can't agree on the sounding like a cam part cause I have bigger cams and it sounds like shit. Try pulling the sensor off and cleaning it with some brake cleaner or w.e.

Well the injector being bad its either not going to spray fuel or its just going to dump fuel which is the more than likely case.

Ok guess I'll try and go over the most suggested things here.

IACV
Injectors
Grounds

Thanks guys I'll let you know if it was any of those things.

Well the injector being bad its either not going to spray fuel or its just going to dump fuel which will make your car burn more fuel causing the black smoke your seeing. Injector is the more than likely case.

Back
Top Bottom