Giant Stingray

Saw one even larger then that when diving in the keys over the 4th of july. Wing span was atleast 10ft across.

PlatanoDrifter said:
i have a childhood fear of these damn things and that pic plus seeing like 100 of those things about that size off the peers in miami beach doesnt help my fear of swiming in the beach, i saw one of these things wayyy tooo close for comfort when i was little and ran out the beach screaming in fear now i get kind paranoid if im in the beach without my goggles

ive been surfing for 10 years now and those things only attack if attacked. if you saw one around i wouldnt be afraid of the ray........ id be afraid of the the shark following it. i ve seen it happen 3 times. all three times it was a bull shark.... they dont play nice.

nfs_emo_fag said:
ive been surfing for 10 years now and those things only attack if attacked. if you saw one around i wouldnt be afraid of the ray........ id be afraid of the the shark following it. i ve seen it happen 3 times. all three times it was a bull shark.... they dont play nice.
Bull Sharks are the most dangerous sharks. Around what areas in Florida have you seen them. The Lake of Nicaragua are full of them :)The more you know.) :bigthumbu
The_More_You_Know.jpg

that's fucked up bladder
not right ...
not right at all
photo shopping stever irwin's face in there
that's so bad lol
yet i still manage to >giggle<

FallenAngel said:
I don't like the beach because I don't like having sand in my butt. I could deal with stingrays, and devil rays. as long as you leave them alone and don't wear anything shiny you are pretty much safe from carniverous sea cratures.... and if you pee in the water the jellyfish stay away (scientifically proven) lol

If you are making alot of noise and commotion rays will stay away from you, but if you are just walking in the water or wading through flats < waist deep it is very easy to walk up on a stingray. Ive done it too many times to count. scares the shit out of me when 3 ft of sand gets up and moves.

They can jump out of the water and take you out too. I think we've been underestimating the sting ray. They're pretty fucking hardcore.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6066862.stm

Jumping stingray stabs US boater

Stingray attacks on humans are extremely rare
A US man has been stabbed in the chest by a stingray which leapt on board his boat in Florida.
James Bertakis, 81, was critically ill in hospital after undergoing surgery to remove the stingray's barb.

He was brought ashore by his granddaughter and her friend, who were also on the boat, after the attack.

Last month, Australian TV naturalist Steve Irwin died when a stingray's barb pierced his heart as he filmed at Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.

US officials say they are shocked at the attack on Mr Bertakis.

"It was a freak accident," David Donzella, acting fire chief in Mr Bertakis' hometown of Lighthouse Point, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

"It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it," he said.

Surgeons were able to remove some of the barb from Mr Bertakis' chest.

The stingray died on the boat after the attack, officials said.

The stingray is a flat, triangular-shaped fish, commonly found in tropical waters.

It gets its name from the razor-sharp barb at the end of its tail, coated in toxic venom, which it uses in defence when it feels threatened.

Attacks on humans are extremely rare, scientists say.

Back
Top Bottom