Formula E???

Overall it was a fun event. It had it's issues but you could argue it didn't deter from the experience. Let's start with the positives:

1. Downtown Miami

Just the fact that the event was held in Downtown Miami had me sold. The last time the area was used as a street course was back in 2003 for the Grand Prix of Miami and I still remember the fun I had at that event till this day. So for me it was more about reliving that experience. Did it succeed? Not entirely and with reason too. This event didn't host 3 different races and didn't run for the entire weekend. It didn't have the same course layout, although it would've been nice if they did, but the course was challenging if only because of the road pavement and safety markers caused the cars to be unstable. If you've ever been to Downtown Miami lately, you should know it doesn't offer the smoothest pavement in all areas, and it was made apparent as the cars skipped around the track through certain sections. I will say it was a real sight to see those race cars buzzing along with the Miami skyline in the background full of crowds and boats docked to witness the action. It was like a low end Monaco race.

2. The Race Cars

If you know me well then you know how crazy I am about battery technology. It was a delight to view these cars in person, not only because of the technology but also what they were doing to the thousands of people viewing the race at the event along with the potential millions viewing from their TV's at home: Formula E was demonstrating to the world that batteries can be utilized as a viable powertrain alternative in motorsport racing. Did they succeed? I'm not quite sure. Till this day I still get asked questions about how Prius' function, so I can't help but think that there are people out there who thought these cars are running some form of combustion engine.

The sound should've given them a clue, or better yet the lack thereof. What you mostly hear is a whine. Apart from that you'll hear the tires squeal and the transmission work it's way through the gears. To get a sense of how they sound, you can simple head over to K1 Speed and listen to all the electric go-karts run around the track. Just ignore the noises when people hit the barriers.

The other major difference is the tire they use. If you look at the tire and wheel combo they run, it really looks like you can take it off and place it on your car. One of the Michelin representatives I spoke to said it's practically a street tire and they could possibly sell them in the future to consumers. What does that mean? I don't know, but I would imagine it would be great for those who are looking for a low rolling resistance tire with more grip. Although I can't imagine it'll be affordable or worthwhile for most people.

Now for the negatives:

1. The Layout

As the city offered a beautiful backdrop for the race, it created some problems for the layout. To start, the fencing around the track ran alongside some of the buildings around the course. For the most part it did its job although not in all areas. Individuals were able to find weak points in security and managed to sneak in through some unsecured fences. Not just some, a ton of people. Unfortunately it was already towards the end of the race and I doubt anyone would've cared at that point if I brought it to their attention.

With people sneaking in, it only added to the masses of people already at the event. There were lines similar to the length you would find at Space Mountain and it was no ride you were waiting on, it was just to cross both catwalks. The problem was apparent in both directions too. Getting around was an exercise of patience.

Finding a spot to see the race comfortably was a real struggle. If you didn't want to shell out $98 for reserved seating at the grandstands, you had to settle with general admission and they did a good job of making you consider paying those $98. Limited viewing areas for general admission caused certain sections to have a congregation of people. If you managed to find a spot, you had to deal with people uncomfortably close to you. Or in my case, have someone use your head to help balance their camera as they took video.

Who I think had the best seats were not the ones at the track, it was those who were viewing the race from one of the buildings along the course. This is where I envied @e30 gangsta, who I'm sure enjoyed the race with A/C, unlimited drinks, comfortable chairs, and multiple cases of Woo Woo! I hope to get an invite next year.

2. Downtime

I am perhaps one of the most adamant haters of downtime. I despise it, I loath it, and when it happens, I can't stop pms'ing about it. I've come to expect it from drift events but it seems like it follows me around as this event suffered the same problem, although in this case it took the cake for the worst offender in downtime history with a total of 3 HOURS!! Yes you read correctly, 3 hours of downtime. Hold on, let that sink in. Ok now take into account that you didn't have to sit through 3 hours of commercials so the organizers could pay the bills. Hold on, let that marinate a bit. Ok let's move on.

This occurred early in the morning and after some investigation, it turns out the reason behind the downtime was due to the construction crew tasked with setting up the track. How this happened I still don't know. But it lead to drivers missing out on two 1 hour practice sessions and instead were left with 30 minutes of practice before they had to jump to qualifying. Yes I understand that shit happens at the last moment, but not at a FIA event. These guys are supposed to be the top class of motorsport sanctioning bodies and to see them struggle like a grassroots event was shocking to say the least. I'm not bs'ing with the 3 hours. Imagine all the bills they could've paid if they ran commercials during that time! Hold on, now it's ready to cook!

3. The Race

If you've made it this far then I congratulate you. As a gift I shall keep this section short. Just like the race, it was short. Or at least it felt that way.

Like I said in my opening, I had fun. There is word that they'll be back next year and I can't wait to view the race with @e30 gangsta as we pop bottles and make it rain from up above. Woo Woo!

Back
Top Bottom