Formula Drift Pro 2 Series Explained

Wrecked Magazine

MazdaMiata.VegasDrift-620x413.jpeg

Starting as a driver in 2015 this would be your path to FD: 
1. You would start driving on a local level anywhere that hosts events.

2. Once you have advanced beyond your local group you can move into a Pro Am environment. Right now the options are Evergreen Drift (Washington), Golden Gate Drift (California), Just Drift (California), Lone Star Bash (Texas). Midwest Drift Union, Streetwise Drift (Southeast), US Drift (East Coast), and Vegas Drift. Once you gain a license in this league you will advance into Formula Drift Pro2

3. Now Pro2 will consist currently of four event weekends on the Formula Drift schedule. You will compete in this series with other drivers who fail to renew their FD Pro license* will fill the field in Pro2. Once you finish in the top of Pro2 you will be granted a Formula Drift license for the next season.”Top” of Pro2 could potentially be 8+ drivers each season. This is TBD. From there, once in the Pro Series as long as you can stay above the minimum threshold in the Pro series (via points or rank) you will retain that license forever.

Where will the Events Be?

Where are these Pro2 events going to happen you ask? The rumor mill we are hearing for a 2014 Formula Drift Pro2 schedule is Road Atlanta, Evergreen Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, and Irwindale Speedway.

CoreyHosford.Essa_-620x413.jpg

The Transition Year of 2014
So many drivers, fans, sponsors have been coming up to me nervous with fear about what is going to happen to them in 2014. You basically fall into one of three categories for the 2014 season that should be worried about Pro 2. You are either a Sub 100 point driver, 2014 Sophomore, and a 2014 Rookie.

1. Sub 100 - According to the Formula Drift standings 30 active drivers in 2013 scored less than 100 points. Looking at X’s on the board most of them attended only 5 events or less (in theory making Pro2 a logical result). Only 2 of those 30 drivers made all 7 rounds (Jhonnattan Castro and Corey Hosford). Make a note that Castro finished the season with a 98 as well and I think could easily get a petition based on being so close. A small group of drivers also ran 6 rounds that scored under 100 points. Everyone else under that marker of six events I imagine is going to be relegated to Pro 2 and either Petition and continue in Formula Drift or drive in the second tier series.

2. 2013 Rookies/2014 Sophomores - Every single 2014 Formula Drift Sophomore (or 2013 Rookie) is under the 100 point mark except ROTY Mats Baribeau. The other 13 Rookie Class drivers will be given the option to run in Pro or Pro2  and/or run both. They should also take note that at the end of 2014 if they don’t meet the 100 point marker and opted out of running Pro2 for the season they will be relegated to Pro Am in 2015. So basically, these guys should REALLY consider running Pro2 in addition to Pro.

3. 2014 Rookies - The rookie class is going to be offered a pass to run in Pro or Pro2, or both in 2014. The 34 licensed drivers through the Pro Am ranks however are no longer being granted a 2 year license like years past and will be issued a single season license. This means they must meet the 100 point standard like everyone else or face relegation in 2014.

*(Minimum requirement as dictated by Formula Drift. This is TBD, but could be points based or rank based. Currently, it is 100 points)

More...

Still confused. To some extend even more than I was before. If a pro pays for pro series and pro2 series in the same year then does that mean that if they don't get the minimum points then they lose their ability to compete not only in the pro series but in the pro2 series as well and have to go all the way to Pro Am? I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like. "They should also take note that at the end of 2014 if they don’t meet the 100 point marker and opted out of running Pro2 for the season they will be relegated to Pro Am in 2015."

Still confused. To some extend even more than I was before. If a pro pays for pro series and pro2 series in the same year then does that mean that if they don't get the minimum points then they lose their ability to compete not only in the pro series but in the pro2 series as well and have to go all the way to Pro Am? I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like. "They should also take note that at the end of 2014 if they don’t meet the 100 point marker and opted out of running Pro2 for the season they will be relegated to Pro Am in 2015."

If a rookie/sophmore runs in pro only and doesn't get the 100 points then they are kicked down to pro-am. But, if they run pro1 and pro2 then its cool.

If you aren't a rookie/sophmore then you just run Pro1 (I think, not sure if they have the option to do both but honestly there would be no reason to run both)

Also, rumor has it that if you sign up for Pro1 you will need to register for the complete season. Seems like FD is tried of the people that only do 1 round.

Back
Top Bottom