First Subaru, Now BMW

Captain Ben

Hypermiler
Staff member
This morning, Toyota and BMW announced they're expanding their previously minor partnership to delve into more things — including a sports car. Take a minute to that sink in before you consider this: at events in Germany and Japan, the two companies dropped all kinds of hints that if these projects go well, there could be more to come. There are four pieces to the puzzle, BMW says, including: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of a "future sports vehicle," collaboration on power train electrification, and development of lightweight technologies.

"I get so excited thinking about the cars that will result from this relationship. I think I can say I am the one who is most looking forward to a sports car that is environment friendly and truly excites car fans around the world," said Toyota.

Why these two and why now? BMW was left steaming when the PSA Group decided to team up with General Motors and Opel, and ended talks on a fuel cell partnership with GM. Toyota, meanwhile, is in a hurry to expand its technological expertise as other carmakers rev up their own environmental efforts. Toyota Europe chief Didier LeRoy disclosed at the news conference that the talks on the expanded collaboration began in earnest in April. That's warp speed for Toyota and probably for BMW, too.

Throughout this morning's press conference, there was a tone of "we really like each other" — the kind of talk about chemistry and kindred spirits between engineers that you hear at engagement parties. Whether the cultures of Munich and Toyota City can really mesh is up for question, but if we squint, we can see it. We know Akio Toyoda likes to drive fast cars. BMW is no longer just a premium niche player, and size matters, once you have it, which Toyota does. Plus, they're two companies whose controlling families are still very much involved. Stay tuned for more from this puppy.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/5922231/bmw+toy...snt-feel-like-a-v8-and-europe-is-melting-down

There's also an article regarding Akio's motivation to work closer with BMW which can be found here:

http://jalopnik.com/5922305/how-toyotas-bmw-deal-fulfills-akio-toyodas-deepest-desire

From that article I think this is the most interesting quote:

"The Nürburgring is the toughest course there is. At the Nürburgring, the road tosses the car around. Curves seem to try to throw out the car and driver. Roads make cars. The Nürburgring has taught me so. That is why many carmakers test new cars at the Nürburgring.They develop cars there, while competing against other manufacturers. But at the Nürburgring, there is always a car that passes me. It is a BMW."

While this is great news for Toyota enthusiasts as many see this as an opportunity for the revival of the Supra nameplate, it still doesn't end the war I have waged against Harri Tervola regarding Toyota's superiority over BMW. Either way both companies stand to benefit from this partnership and hopefully we'll get to see the fruits of their labor.

Back
Top Bottom