Fc Rx7 diff mount.

al0389

LIMA!!!
Driver
Ok, if you have an fc rx7, then you must know what a failure the diff mount is. I'm running on my third or fourth one and tired of dishing out a hundred dollars for a "mazdaspeed competition" replacement every time. Has anyone ever made one to replace the faulty one? I know people just weld up the mount and make it a solid one, but it then becomes a ticking time bomb before you rip the mount off the subframe and end up having to repair the subframe tabs. Does anyone have a "rebuild able" or more permanent solution for the mount? I don't care for ride quality, just to never have to remove my entire rear sub frame to fix that shitty ass mount.

Anyone care to share ideas or solutions?

there is one being made by this company called level zero motor sports. I'm also looking into engineering my own cause what i have now is the snubber mod that most FC owners do and it helps a bit. have you done that yet? Also i have a spare snubber from energy suspension that I'm not using.

Last edited:
I learned about that recently and have not done it yet. I'm going to get it done soon. I saw a DIY on the snubber and it looks fairly easy, so I may end up doing that as I wait to gather the parts I'm changing when the car goes down to replace all the bushings. The clunk in the rear end is just getting annoying and expensive.

I know trust me lol, but be careful when doing it cause you don't want to drill the wrong hole cause not many people say this but there is a dimple that is closer to the spot that needs to be drilled. when its done in the right spot the hole should be directly above the front diff mount.But where did you get the Mazdaspeed one cause from what I recall that mount from them is like $250 dollars!

Again if you want I'll give you that extra snubber if you live close by?

Your right, it's not the mazdaspeed, I meant the stiffer mount from mazdatrix. I'm in Pembroke Pines, you?

Yea, it's a couple years old, but for daily driving with mild sliding here and there shouldn't kill it. I'm starting to think the top diff bushings may need attention as well. I mean, they are from 1986.

I've already got a list going for the 7.
Manual rack
Diff bushings, probably all 3
Suspension bushings
And shifter bushings.

I'm hoping to find time off work while I'm on summer break from school.

well i swapped over to the manual rack and that was a plus. but my front diff mount is hopping a bit and the cradle that holds my transmission, the bushing in the center of that is showing signs of cracking. gotta replace the ones you mentioned but i plan on making my own front diff mount. the problem with weld the front diff mount is you are prone to breaking the subframe.

I am probably just going to go through the traditional replacement of the mount and a snubber. I don't have the time to do anything crazy with it right now. The 7 is my daily, so I can't have it out of service for long periods of time. I'm also starting a new job next week and I can't be fucking around with it until I get some time to look like a "good" employee lol. I mean, I'm changing jobs within my company, but I have to report to a whole new set of managers, so I can't fuck around like I used to until I get the feel for them.

I also have a manual rack waiting to go in, I found it at U-Pull-It on a random day that I went. Car was just put in and I had a field day lol.

Anyway gcasimir3, I don't know if you lurk the v8 forums, but guys with real torque are snapping mounts all the time. They usually upgrade to Ford or Chevy rear ends, but some have modified their original equipment to suit. I came across this about a week ago, it may be something you're interested in. A pinion brace to reinforce the mount.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=3659.msg49034#msg49034

I have the Mazdaspeed one I think. I don't think I've ever replaced it. At least not in the past few years that I can remember. You may be doing something wrong. I also have the MMR rear diff mounts.

update:
i have the diff mount and snubber (bump stop) installed and took it drag racing Wednesday night (first time i have ever raced in my life). and no wheel hop, vibration, jerking or any odd feeling came from back there! so al0389 make sure you buy the bump stop and get the correct mazda speed front differential mount. Prior to the race I have been daily driving it for about 1200 miles and the results have been the same.

Back
Top Bottom