ethonal.. is it affecting you?

little pp man

私の車について質問しないでください!
Driver
so heres a simple situation that shouldn't be... im on my second fuel pump (walbro 255 @ 37psi) on my fc, first one went out after a long streak of 2 or 3 years sucking the life out of the tank, recently it died :( now i bought a new in box pump same one and now is going wack after long drives and getting worse and louder.. i asked around and im hearing that the ethanol in gas now eats away rubber in components like my aeromotive fpr, fuel pump etc. sucks....

here i ask if this is true. im also readin up on this but mainly interested if its really happening out there

also does your car starts to lean after a long drive or pump gets louder then normal recently???

Last edited:
i havent noticed anything, nither has my bike that i have to run high ocatane, but i did notice older style gas was like almost clear, with ethonal it looks like apple juice or iced tea, dark brownish.

lol ^^^
FYI gas has always had 10% ethanol in it, its just never been labeled.

Since the 70s yes. and the reason it wasnt labeled was becuase it wasnt mandatory untill recent years.

And walbro sucks, I hate mine. It could be the fuel killing the pump tho, well more so your gas tank, clean your tank out the next time you replace the pump,see if that helps, unless you have done so before.

Jon

bosh
DSC02050.jpg

yea i agree on the pumps.

alex thanks i didnt know that shit

and d.davaine were you selling that pump b4? pm me if you have one

iv heard a good upgrade would be the supra tt fuel pump?

i dont know man, it fucked my Q and Randy's R32 skyline, especially Hess do not get your gas there, that shit is pretty much water

I deal with some large fueling companies and as of March 1st all fuel coming into all of the ports in Florida is 20% ethanol. So by now it has pretty much cycled through all of the stations. but anyways. Yes ethanol does affect the rubber in the fuel systems. But it really depends on how old your vehicle is to how much trouble your going to have. First with the fuel and fuel system itself, The older your vehicles stock fuel system the more chance it has of eating the rubber away quicker. Its really a time of corrosion thing and older parts are weaker and more likely to fail than newer parts. New vehicles it shouldnt affect it for a good couple of years somewere around 10 so I hear. The other bad thing about ethanol is that it takes twice as much ethanol to produce the same amount of power as regular fuel. So when you take your happy little cars A/F settings tuned for regular fuel and then factor in the 20% ethanol into its burning capabilities now your running 10% leaner. On newer vehicles thats managable because the computers have become a little bit more adaptable in recent years. But older vehicles dont have enough play in their fuel maps to make the adjustment so they run lean. Lean in the hot summer is bad news.. shit starts going bad fast. So it is now more important than ever to run a wideband to keep your investment from lean conditions thanks to our goverment. Anyway moving on. Ok the only way to make your fuel system 100% ethanol safe is to use all fuel system parts for an alcohol fuel setup. The alcohol setups can run any fuel including ethanol because there built with special materials that are resistant to the abrasive fuels. Unfortunatly its a little more expensive for those items, pumps, regulators, lines, fittings and what not. But on the other hand you wont have to worry. Plus you would be able to run the $2 something a gallon ethanol with just a tune specific for it. Oh the oly good thing I can see about ethanol is that it has an octaine rating of 104 without any lead to mess up your O2 sensors and cats. Anyway hope this help shed some light on the situation.

Last edited:
if u guys wanna turn this into an ethonal thread im down....def been reading about this for like 4 months STRAIGHT....and kinda wanna run 85 in my car...and ethanol has been there.....doubt it would affet the pump, prolly just cuz its a ricer walbro pump....supra tt > walbro or any big ass turbo car, skyline 300zxtt supra shit like that is most of the time...better

but how much cheaper is E85? by my house theirs a Ugas station that sells E85 at about 3.75 (at the time gas was ~4.00) doesnt seems that much cheaper.

i hate that they are adding more and more ethonal into gas cause i get worse gas milage with it and you make less power. gas mixed with ethonal dosnt burn as well as straight gas. My dad is a enginer for a company that makes ethonal and hes told me that by the end of next year its gonna be up to 30% ethonal in gas which sucks even harder.:mad:

ethanol is awesome for turbo's!! lets you run more timing and more boost,
but you do have to run twice the amount of fuel :mad:

we gotta start saving up for a new fuel system then, alchol fuel system here i come :)

ethanol is awesome for turbo's!! lets you run more timing and more boost,
but you do have to run twice the amount of fuel :mad:

:werd: iv set my car to run much richer then ever... thus it should pull as it did before but it doesnt. so i raised boost a bit and fixed it up :) yummys

Last edited:
wow wtf is the point of putting more ethonal in gas? are they doing it to all the gases? (premium also?)

yo u could also use cosmo fuel pump also, well you are not the only one with that problem, at the dealerships there's a lot mini cooper, bmw coming back with pump and injector problems...

Back
Top Bottom