Engine will not start

go7roo7

el pollo lento
Spectator
05 350z Manual. w/ cruise control

Went to put gas and after doing so, car did not start. I could not hear the sound of the starter or starter solenoid. Guy helped me push start the Z and she started on the first try. Drove her home and began thinking.

1: Battery is good (<1 year optima red top)
2: cannot hear starter or solenoid.
3: ASCD clutch switch might be damaged (since pressing clutch (or manually pressing the ASCD button does nothing))
4: The car is not throwing any codes like crank/cam POS sensor issues. ( which can stall the car)

So I am thinking on checking out the ASCD clutch switch before I dig in to the starter.

Any other things I should look into that might be the culprit? And also what started (if mine is damaged, would you all recommend?)

Thanks! :bigthumbu

UPDATE:

I took out the ASCD switch and plugged it back in and the car started. When I turned it off and back on to re-test, the car did not turn back on and had the same symptoms. :mad:

Have you tired straight bypassing the switch? Could be an internal short in it causing the one time occurrence of starting then not. After that I would head towards the starter

I have not been able to find any tutorials on how to bypass both the ASCD and the Clutch interlock switch at the same time.

Also I dont think its the starter, because when it started after I fondled with the switch, it did so w.o a hichup. I could take the starter off but I think it will be a waste of time. There should not be a short in the car... honestly this has never happened before so I have no reason to think there should be a short...

those switches seem to be having issues or something.... fml

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good news everyone.

After prodding around, I found that the clutch switch was actually good. Good voltage readout at the starter relay + power cables. Seems the relay on the starter was fawked, as well as the internals. ( I took the starter apart and its seen better days, too much oil + carbon + dirt pitted the insides)

So I broke out my welder and my crappy welding skills and fabbed this shield from some metal I had laying around + sprayed some left over engine enamel.

Does the job, shields the starter from oil or leaks from above.

^ my crappy weld job :/

^ test fit :D

^paint

Back
Top Bottom