Electronic Scoring - Bye bye Judges

i honestly want all of drifting to be moved over to electronics, there are way to many bad calls made by judges in drifting.

i definitely thing more time needs to be spent on getting good accurate electronic scoring for drifting. it wouldn't really be that hard with any real backing we have all the tech to do it just needs to be put together correctly. but then fd couldn't choose who they want to win so i guess it wouldn't work ;)

might help stop bad calls, but its sorta like having alumn bats in MLB.

I think it's a sweet idea, but there are usually other variables where you still need a human judge to determine a winner. Corrections are hard to judge electronically, and so would impact/excitement.

Well as far as I know, they still need to judge the tandem runs. Unless they have set up some type of proximity sensors on the cars as well. This however will serve VERY useful to give accurate qualifying runs.

Well as far as I know, they still need to judge the tandem runs. Unless they have set up some type of proximity sensors on the cars as well. This however will serve VERY useful to give accurate qualifying runs.

Over head cameras like helicopter or like baseball football has it on wires

And I'm sure if they setup some type of GPS system and record the track, depending on what part of the track they are can determine what angle you should be in or how fast you should be going . Maybe a sensor in front and back can help with how straight they are instead of just one in middle

Last edited:
I think the judges are what makes it exciting. Bad calls are made in all sports by officials. (Basketball,football).

i think what they need to do right now is not give the judges excuses to make bad calls. The best way is to have multiple replay cameras set up to give them the best replay angles possible. I think it would be cool to have the judges look at incar footage while watching replays lol.

Judges are a part of almost every popular sport.

only thing id worry about is the stuff you would need on your car to activate the sensors or gps trackers or w.e its gona have to come out of drivers pocket to be able to compete. im sure they dont let you barrow a tracker at events.. more money to spend.. its cool but its like lets hire computers to judge any judged event. the drift shifter thing looks cool as shit though :bigthumbu

Maybe 6 judges or 4 judges and split them on two parts of the track instead of just one so they can see different angles

This is all fine and dandy till someone murders the electronic clipping cone/judge lol
I say stop trying to take humans out of everything :slap: with this electronic scoring i don't see one more times ever happening again since a person could win by a very small amount because its so precise.

Yea, its good to have hard data but can't take it all out of the hands of the human judge. To much can be missed by not comparing non-gps/gforce factors. But should help catch really low angle stuff. I know its on the spot announcing but sometimes they say someone is almost straight and they aren't. Then they are talking about the large angle when its a burnout.

verry interesting but really this would take most effect on solo runs and not as much during tandem but it does show drifting going in the right direction

i agree with paul... what happens when bumper and wall make contact, where is this "SENSOR" going to end up? also what happens if glitch in system doesnt record score, or like noel said, humans pickup on minor corrections?

seems like too much for such a relatively simple sport, like bmx, figure skating... I think we should just cut the bullshit judging, and favoritism... (at least it seems that way)

if the judging continues to be shit, i forsee lots of tricky games like daigo and more drama, and possibly even turned off fans! whatever i love it regardless its a good show either way!

On the other hand of this idea, this new system could open the door to a new style of series that is solely based on this electronic judging and could be separate of any other series. So leave FD and all other small comps to be judged by human and then start a new series using electronic judging.

just a thought...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom