Electrical Problem

240girl

So here's the problem.

Left my car on(not running key in the on position) for like 4 hours. Started the car up once in between. Well when I went to go start it up again...the battery was dead. No problem went to put another battery in and the car didnt start at all. So I jumped my car ran for 10-15 minutes...idled perfectly fine and everything then out of no where it started idling rough and died....well I turned the key back to the on position and nothing worked...not even the clock it was blank.

All the fuses and relay are fine.....the battery and alternator are fine.......

What do you guys think it could be?

How did you check the Alternator?

Do you have gas?
Do you have spark when you crank?
Is the battery new?
Does the motor crank and not start or does it not crank at all?

I actually replaced the alternator.....i have gas I tried 2 different batteries so definately no the battery..........and the motor doesnt crank whatsoever....but if I jump the car it'll start just fine.....and idle perfectly fine....and when I have the car off i can turn on my headlight and their bright as they should be...but there are no lights in the car.

Starter? hit it with some metal pipe and then go to start it and see if it does, if so then yeah you need a starter.

Also check you're grounds too

EDIT: I'm stupid nvm

sound like you have a voltage drain somewhere in your S13 :[ do what I said above thought except check all your grounds.

Last edited:
If you turn the key to the on position and the clock turns of, check your battery ground. You might need to clean it. It has curosion.

Moe

what i would do is start the car and check the battery with a voltmeter, if its not putting out 14+v with the car on its the alternator

Start it and disconnect the Negative terminal if it shuts off it is you Alternator.

Also if you have a volt meter you can attach on end to the Negative Cable and the other direct to the Batt Terminal and while the car is running disconnect the negative and turn the key off and you will see if you have a draw somewhere.

I was talking to one of my friends yesterday and he said its a power source going to the alternator......which makes sense bcuz when I jumped my car I left the cables on for 5 minutes one time and the car ran for 10-15min idled rough and shut off....if I jump my car and take the jumper cables back off then itll stay on for 30 sec idle rough and shut off

check the connections at the battery, make sure they dont have the slightest corrosion on them. this happened to me before and i had to change my posi terminal at the battery. Also since u replaced the alternator make sure everything is connected right and snugged down

well if the car starts with a jump, test the battery and see if it has 12+v with the car off, if so take the two terminals that branch off the positive terminal and sand everything clean, put it back together and giv it a shot

well i have a thought but im not sure it will relate 100%. There may be an excessive resistance in the ignition switch, try hotwiring the starter. if it cranks right away then the iginition switch is the cause. Here u have to choices to solve the issue. Either do a start button or replace the ignition cylinder. This happened to my car also and the previous owner installed the start button

YA I seen the Ignition switch cause hard starts too.

Just because the alternator was replaced doesn't mean it is good. I've got my fair share of poor rebuilds. Also if you tighten the positive on the Alternator it can crack the connection on the inside and become worthless. I've seen it many times. It doesn't take much then CRACK!

Okay so I got the problem fixed....but now theres another problem,lol of course......so today I went to go jump my car since the battery was dead....and as soon as I took the jumper cables off it died again.....all the lights in the car are very dim. Even when I let the jumper cable stay on for a little longer it did the same thing....

Back
Top Bottom