E36 Gaymatic tranny???

Speedvill

Hey guys, I just pick up a 93 325is and is gaymatic. The tranny shift nice and smooth, but when I get on it, it starts giving me problems. It shift slow, feels like it has no power, but when it cools down is back to normal, and it has a check engine light. So, I took the car to a shop today and they told me that its the input shaft speed sensor, and wanted to charge me way too much to change it since they say the sensor is inside the tranny and have to bring the tranny down. I wanted to ask you guys is these true, the speed sensor been inside the tranny and all? and how many of the sensors do they have? since they mention the input shaft sensor. Any info helps, thank you in advance

The Wheel speed sensor is on the Differential (all E36's). The the sensor they are talking about is the input shaft speed sensor which tells the computer the speed of the input shaft. It then calculates that measurment with the speed of the output shaft and determines when to lock the converter. Yours may be faulty and at full throttle giving bad signals to the AGS.

I gotz a 5 speed trans for an E36 LMK if your interested. all I know that autotragic sucks. Good luck with the car.

The Wheel speed sensor is on the Differential (all E36's). The the sensor they are talking about is the input shaft speed sensor which tells the computer the speed of the input shaft. It then calculates that measurment with the speed of the output shaft and determines when to lock the converter. Yours may be faulty and at full throttle giving bad signals to the AGS.

Wow, thanks for the info. Let me ask you is it true that the sensor(input shaft speed) is inside the tranny, and the only way to get to is to bring the tranny down? Thank you

Yup, Needs to come down. If it's not that, it's possible you could have low voltage and it's fucking with the trans (Alternator, Battery Cable's etc.). Do they have an actual GT1 BMW Computer at that shop to check the faults and actually run a real diag. on the car? Or just an OBD Reader?

Yup, Needs to come down. If it's not that, it's possible you could have low voltage and it's fucking with the trans (Alternator, Battery Cable's etc.). Do they have an actual GT1 BMW Computer at that shop to check the faults and actually run a real diag. on the car? Or just an OBD Reader?

It was only the obd reader. Thank you for all the info.

This is the only correct answer being this is a drifting forum.

The 5 spd swap is in my plans, and I will do it as soon as I get back to Miami. Now I need this car to take me back from Glynco, Ga.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom