Drift Impression: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

Captain Ben

Hypermiler
Staff member
[size=-1]Preface:
hachi suggested I write about my experiences with some of the cars I drive at the Skidpad. After some thought I figured it would be a good idea in order to give others some insight on how other cars behave and what to look out for. Constructive criticism is welcomed and highly appreciated.
[/size]

321287_2409641204242_1347573180_2866067_356123145_n.jpg

The car in question is owned by MacD. Based on his intro thread the car's mod list consists of "k&n sri, turboxs catless 3" turboback, turboxs fmic, bosch 550cc injectors, Poweraxel tune, Stance Coilovers". This was my first time drifting a Hyundai Genesis Coupe but I knew what to expect based on past experiences with other Genesis'. Don't recall the year and miles it had but I know it was over 10,000 miles, so it did have some wear and tear. Didn't take a look at the tires but it felt like they had about 60-70% life left.

[size=+1]Like:[/size]

Initiating into the first turn was accomplished with such ease, if I was blindfolded I would've mistaken it for a 240SX. The car's handling is predictable and easy to manage. The leather-wrapped steering wheel does a good job of sticking to your fingers, preventing me from letting it slip through my hands. Body roll was nowhere to be found, and if there was any, the seats would keep you in place. In summary it accomplishes to deliver all the necessary ingredients for anyone to drift. Supportive seats, sufficient power, and an adequate drivetrain will leave you with one thing to worry about: tires. While the car is on the heavy side (~3,200 lb.), you'll easily overlook that fact as you scramble to deal with the drive-by-wire system.

[size=+1]Dislike:[/size]

If the Genesis Coupe were to have an achilles heel it would have to be the drive-by-wire system. Drive normally and you'll find the RPM's hang and continue to do so even after you've released your foot off the clutch pedal. You would suspect something is stuck in the throttle system but in fact this is not the case, it was designed to work like this apparently. I've read comments saying this was done for emissions purposes but I think that's bull. And this issue affects all models. So why is this such a big deal?

Imagine coming up to a turn and as usual you let off the gas to slow down. While a typical car would in fact slow down, the Genesis doesn't. It keeps going due to the drive-by-wire system keeping the throttle open. Initially you can get a good scare out of this as the Genesis goes off wide, missing the clipping point, and almost throwing you into the wall on the opposite side. After a while you learn to adapt to it but this is absolutely absurd. Hyundai should provide some sort of software fix to eliminate the issue or reduce it from being so evident. All current and future owners should look to acquire an aftermarket drive-by-wire kit to eliminate this problem, it's that bad.

[size=+1]Verdict:[/size]

[float=left]
approved.png
[/float]
If you're looking for a new car to slide with, there's no reason why you shouldn't be looking at a Genesis Coupe. You can literally drift the car out of the dealer lot (Don't try this), even if the car I drove has already been modified. Although not perfect (Stupid DBW), the drawbacks can be dealt with. Hyundai has delivered a car that is almost as easy to slide as a 240SX, yet isn't one (Thankfully). Can the Genesis Coupe dethrone the 240SX as the ideal drift car to start off with? Perhaps, but not for a long while.

Crazy nice review.. Really thinking about going to a dealer and signing my life away for one of these...

There's a company called speedbooster or throttle booster that makes a kit to make the drive by wire system much faster and essentially eliminating throttle lag/hang. I'm not sure if they make it for this model, but last time I checked, they sell a kit for practically any vehicle with a drive by wire system.

Aside from that, great write up Ben.

Great job and awesome write up! I really enjoyed reading it! :bigthumbu

If the Genesis Coupe were to have an achilles heel it would have to be the drive-by-wire system. Drive normally and you'll find the RPM's hang and continue to do so even after you've released your foot off the clutch pedal. You would suspect something is stuck in the throttle system but in fact this is not the case, it was designed to work like this apparently. I've read comments saying this was done for emissions purposes but I think that's bull. And this issue affects all models. So why is this such a big deal?

Imagine coming up to a turn and as usual you let off the gas to slow down. While a typical car would in fact slow down, the Genesis doesn't. It keeps going due to the drive-by-wire system keeping the throttle open. Initially you can get a good scare out of this as the Genesis goes off wide, missing the clipping point, and almost throwing you into the wall on the opposite side. After a while you learn to adapt to it but this is absolutely absurd. Hyundai should provide some sort of software fix to eliminate the issue or reduce it from being so evident. All current and future owners should look to acquire an aftermarket drive-by-wire kit to eliminate this problem, it's that bad.

[size=+1]Verdict:[/size]

the reason or this was to have "smother shifting" -_- but alot of companies including locally now are offering re flashes that eliminate that nonsense and make it feel like a "Cabled throttle" the car is fun as shit to slide btw.

insert ricer vid here...

http://youtu.be/LNvEakOaFPk

BTW I think they fixed the rev hang and bugs with the 2012 GCs or mine is a factory freak. The SFR reflash is cheapest power adder and it gets rid of the rev hang (starting from 77rwhp with a stock tune) :bigthumbu .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to seeing how the FR-S or BRZ do as an entry level drift car, compaired to this. Nice Review!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the FR-S or BRZ do as an entry level drift car, compaired to this. Nice Review!

It should slide around in circles around Genesis Coupe .

FR-S/BR-Z
est. 2600 lbs
197 hp/151 tq

vs

Genesis Coupe 2.0 Base
3200 lbs
210hp (223hp with 93 Octane)/ 223 tq

Last edited:
I sure hope so. I also hope Greddy building a drift FRS for Ken Gushi will generate a good base of aftermarket parts early on... They did say it will have 400hp or so, so there may just be hope for a turbo on one yet. Either way, I'm kinda glad Nissan is the last to join the race, they have the potential to do something really cool with the S16 concept, and they will learn from Toyoburu's and Hyundai's mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom