dohc ka sputtering and hesitating in cold weather

MarcoJDM

Driver
car drove fine the past 2 days. but at night and early morning in the cold it will sometimes sputter and hesitate on accel. sounds almost like a miss but everything is pretty good

plugs and wires are new. maybe maf starting to go?

compression test was 170 across the board

lmk know what you guys might think. thanks for the help!!!

My car is doing the same shit. But idles fine and revs fine when sitting. But on accel its sounds like its missing and starts hesitating. I think its my maf but idk. Because I put another maf and it got worse... Im about to do a compression test tho.

Old shits hate cold weather, mine feels rough in cold weather for a couple of mins. Might be the oil ur running? Idk I've also heard you can get fuel leaks as well in cold weather---maybe bad fuel pressure? I'm just shooting in the dark...

Letting ur cars warm up.before.driving?

+1

anyone complaining about cars not acting right in cold weather has never lived up north lol.

your supposed to turn your car on, go inside, put your shoes on and get phone wallet keys etc, and then get back in your car and drive.

there is a normal operating temperature on a car for a reason. anything lower or higher than normal wil be....NOT normal lol

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

on the other hand, turbod cars do much better in cold weather...you can guess why....but thats still after it reaches normal operating temperature

+1

anyone complaining about cars not acting right in cold weather has never lived up north lol.

your supposed to turn your car on, go inside, put your shoes on and get phone wallet keys etc, and then get back in your car and drive.

there is a normal operating temperature on a car for a reason. anything lower or higher than normal wil be....NOT normal lol

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

on the other hand, turbod cars do much better in cold weather...you can guess why....but thats still after it reaches normal operating temperature

+1 My sr felt like a fucking champ in the cold.

Old shits hate cold weather, mine feels rough in cold weather for a couple of mins. Might be the oil ur running? Idk I've also heard you can get fuel leaks as well in cold weather---maybe bad fuel pressure? I'm just shooting in the dark...

Yea Im putting in my Walbro tomorrow with a fpr. Maybe that will fix it idk.

yeah, warming up helps, especially since our cars see 1000000676575677 degree weather all year long and then 3 days of cold weather the ecu is trying to compensate and relearn all the fuel it needs to put in for the denser air.

maybe your temp sensor is going bad u do know the one with 2 wires id for the ecu and not the gauge, if its not reading the correct temperature your engine will not know what temperature it is and will probably not go into what is known as "cold start mode" were the injectors are open for a longer duration, it could be that or you have lower than normal fuel pressure and when your car needs more fuel (when cold) but is suppose to operate at a lower fuel pressure its below normal causing your car to miss by running lean.....these are just 2 theories

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

I know your suppose to let your car warm up in the mourning but with the tight schedule i was running going to school in orlando witch is colder than here i had to hop in my car crank it and go sometimes and it never missed once as should no car in florida winters anyway so that bs about letting your car warm up is just a way for you to avoid the problem you have instead of fixing it before it gets worse...

yea i always let it warm up atleast 5 mins especially when its cold. the fuel filter looks old as dirt so im going to buy a z32 one from work and see how that goes.

it seems like itll drive fine but when i accelerate harder then after the fact it acts retarded lol

oh well. i guess ill wait it out till it gets worse and figure out what it is. thanks guys!

I know your suppose to let your car warm up in the mourning

so that bs about letting your car warm up is just a way for you to avoid the problem

lol you agreed with the bs, then said its bs and your just avoiding the problem....

and my scenario was for states up north. in florida you dont need to go back inside your house for 5 min or w.e.
OBVIOUSLY

but it is better to start it, wait like 30 seconds and take it easy on the car for the first 5 min or so rather than get in and haul ass immediately.

and im not trying to bs or act like i know everything, im just explaining some personal experience/knowledge

edit: no hostility intended, i just dont like people calling what i say bs after they agree with it and mulitple others have already agreed... its not like im ignorant...or crazy!!!

Last edited:
I put in the Walbro, I think prob is fixed. Ill let you know soon.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Yep it was my damn fuel pump. Runs soooooo much better.

ive had this happen, but not due to the cold. my car would hesitate and run poorly, but at idle or free revving, it felt fine. changed the pump and it felt 1000000 times better.

^Yea mine would hesitate when getting on the gas on the road. Like say if I was trying to get up to speed really quick and shift harder than normal, everytime I would shift and go to accelerate it would just be all bogging and hesitation. But now it runs like a whole new car thank god. Time for booooooooost!!!!

i changed the fuel lines and fuel filter (upgraded to the MUCH bigger z32 one)

so far so good. runs fucking awesome now. we'll see later on.

the filter i took off was so nasty tho. looked like oil was coming out it. thick and dark
im guessing colder weather made the car want to throw more fuel and it couldnt cause of shitty lines and filter

thanks guys. ill prob go boost soon too lol.

Back
Top Bottom