D.I.Y dash removal

Devil Man

Spectator
ok here is a write up for those who dont know how to take out the dash board. im sorry that i missed 2 pics but they are pretty obvious when your are going to be removing them what you have to do and i will explain how to do it. ok with that said here it goes good luck and be calm and patetent cause the first time isnt easy but hopefully this will make it.
oh and 56k sorry that it might take a min to upload but i did try to make the pics as small as i could but still be visible.

tools needed:

14mm i belive is the steering wheel(this one could be hard so you know i would go 1/2 drive for the most leverage)
12mm socket with a 6-10 extension would make your life easy.
10mm socket again with a extension of the kind.
8mm socket, maybe if no one has played with your car.
phillps screw driver.
a pick as seen in the picture. if you dont have one go buy one it will make your life alot easier, cause when it comes time to need it, you'll be glad you have it. a set cost 5 dollars at wally world i belive.

ok well than here it goes. ok here what you want to pull the cover towards you it will kinda pop off some.
DSC00116.jpg

here is the screw that you have to take off from underneath the wheel to take the cover
DSC00118.jpg
off( i do belive that this is only on the SOHC cars but i could be wrong)
DSC00117.jpg

this is the bolt that holds the wheel to the colum. i belive that it was a 14mm
DSC00120.jpg

now take these screws off they hold the hold latch on. then you can push it here if you want to or wait till another step.
DSC00121.jpg

this the cover that is underneath the wheel by your knees. take off all the screws here and the hold latch will be easier to access to take off.

also here is where i missed a pic. the cover that is around the colum has 4 screw holes take themout. then take the little peice that goes around the ignition off it just pops out. also on the other side is the little peice that is around for the wheel hight adj. take that one off too or just undo it from the cover. just leave it on and when you drop the colum take this plastic off.
DSC00122.jpg

ok pull all the switches out just like this. its not easy but they do pull out and once pulled out un plug them. for the dash light and the cruise control one's you may have to wait for those to take them off they are a little bit of a pain. i would wait till once the plastic trim is lose to then reach behind and unplug.
DSC00123.jpg

here you can see where the plastic trim is attached to. and once these are out you must pull the bottom part first down then out and then once you do this the top will come off easy. this is the part where now you can do a reach around for the switches back sides haha.
DSC00125.jpg

here are the holes where the bolts are for the colum to drop. dont worry the colum wont fall far unfortunatly. ok here is the other pic that i missed cause its to hard to take it and take off the plastic trim that the switches hold on to. push the column down hard and slip that plastic trim off CAREFULLY its not easy trust me just play with it slowly to take it out.
DSC00126.jpg

here are the screws that hold the cluster in
DSC00127.jpg

once you unlpug the cluster DO NOT SET THE PLUG DOWN ON THE BAR!!!! you will fry fuses... this is a wacky no no
DSC00128.jpg

pull this up carefully i would put your hands on it at many spots as possible so that not all the force is in one spot. but stop once it pops off the car
DSC00129.jpg

then pull this out towards you as your sitting in the seat.
DSC00130.jpg

unscrew radio bin A/C controler. and push a/c back in to the dash it will be fine there.
DSC00131.jpg

then unscrew these 2 screws
DSC00132.jpg

and these 2 screws(one on each side drivers/pass) they hold the center consul down
DSC00133.jpg

pull up the e brake then pull this up. then unplug these bad boys. CAREFULL with the lighter you may push it out and f it up!
DSC00134.jpg

take these off on both sides once unscrewd they slide towards the dash from under the door sills.
DSC00135.jpg

this is the glove box, take the 2 screws out from under it. then open it up and it will fall out if not then just put it on its side and it will come out then.
DSC00136.jpg

easy take these off, just cause its sharp and it will cut you.
DSC00137.jpg

ok pull those A/C ducks out, push the wires in! and then unscrew the 2 screws there.
DSC00138.jpg

ok here is the the next HARD PART. you must MUST be very carefull here. these are normally very fragile and may still break even if you are carefull. sorry to tell you but i mean you may have an almost 15yr old car this stuff happens. with the pick that i tell you to buy cause it will make your life a hell of a lot easier. carefully put it under and pry up slowly do this across the vents. just look at the pics this isnt easy to explain.
DSC00139.jpg

also so you know the pass side comes off first then the drivers side. they lay one over another.
DSC00140.jpg

here is an idea of where the tabs are that keep it in place
DSC00141.jpg

ok here are some more screws there are 3 carefull with your windshield
DSC00142.jpg

that should be all the screws. i may have skipped the ones that are on the sides next to the door.
DSC00143.jpg

back to the glove box area. look in there you will see this plug for the light in the glove box unplug it. and take it off the metal braket holding it.
DSC00144.jpg

these are the A/C ducks that go to the small triangle vents make sure that these come undone cause they will hold the dash in frm being yanked out.
DSC00145.jpg

again push hard down on the column and pull the dash out slowly. you have to pull it from each side in the beginning to get it out. also the ebrake may be in the way make sure that it is down. it should make things easier.
DSC00146.jpg

out the pass side cause when your siting in the drivers seat its pain out your way and the column makes it a bit harder to pull out.
DSC00147.jpg

the after math
DSC00148.jpg

this should be all the holes for the screws.
DSC00149.jpg

if you have broken vents or wish to be a ricer and paint your vents push these tabs down on both the bottom and top and they pull foward
DSC00151.jpg

good luck to you guys and if you have any questions go f your self haha j/k post them here!

haha try getting the dash off with the steering wheel on. let me know how it goes.

hey and why hasnt my dumb right up made sticky stats yet? i worked hard at this!

mods sticky please!!!!!!!

+1 million for an awsome write up!!! if i knew how to post pics i would do a million!!!!!!!

haha you have to use irfan view to make them smaller. (free at download.com) then photobucket to host them and then you used the photobuckets tags on the bottom and paste them here! cake!

weeeee sticky stats!

Devil Man said:
haha try getting the dash off with the steering wheel on. let me know how it goes.

hey and why hasnt my dumb right up made sticky stats yet? i worked hard at this!
well if you loosen the steering column theres no need to take off the steering wheel ive done like 10 dashes including the ones i did right now on my car and i never had to take it off and it was still easy as pie........good write up though o and you forgot to circle one of the kick panel screws

PlatanoDrifter said:
well if you loosen the steering column theres no need to take off the steering wheel ive done like 10 dashes including the ones i did right now on my car and i never had to take it off and it was still easy as pie........good write up though o and you forgot to circle one of the kick panel screws

das what im saying i done that like 2-3 times

Back
Top Bottom