compression numbers, rebuild or not to rebuild??

hey guys, just did a compression check on my 95 s14 with ka my numbers were

1. 190
2. 180
3. 190
4. 180

i think the numbers are good and the motor has 97,000 miles supposedly but my goals are turbo 12 psi give or take or 300 whp give or take. i dont know if i should rebuild the motor with low comp pistons or if i should just throw on a turbo and boost like 10 psi?

what do you guys think?

Well frist off 12psi is pushing it and 300rwhp on a stock ka :eek:. I wouldn't boost it unless your readings were in 2psi of each other.

yea i'm not expecting 300 on stock block but i was hoping for at least 250, 300 would be if or when i rebuild the motor for boost

i did 285 rwhp with about the exact same numbers t3/t4 topmount 370cc safc tune (thanks to estie) on 8psi all day beat the shit out of! byut like they say"stay stock bottomend on a kat and it will fail" no matter what!

The question is how long do you want the motor to last, also the key is in your tuning.you can make good power with just high boost and a safc or still make good power with low boost on a ecu tune or standalone which will make the life of the motor last longer. Many different routes depends on you budget.

Mine lasted 3 months on a jwt tune. Safc II. Rx7 550cc injectors. t3 .60 compressor/.63 turbine...fun times man....Lasted 3 months...I had a single cam...my chain ate my timing guides...I wanted to go rb....so I used that as an escuse to sell the turbo kit and start a project...

nico club fail-they banned me! with those numbers i would boost it!!! go 8psi and never look back!! ive gone through 8 ka-ts and just for fun i would do another!!!

log on to ka-t.org thats the place tobe for that shit!!!

Your numbers are good, boost it. Aside from the turbo stuff, get:

knock lite
wideband + afr gauge
water injection

Install the knock lite before you go turbo and calibrate it NA. Also like others in this thread have said, tune it right: go calum, go standalone, or GO HOME.

it wont be my daily and i'm willing to spend the money and time on things that matter like ams stand alone and proper tune and widebands and stuff so i'm thinking maybe i will boost it and have fun with it i'm planing 550cc inj. ams standalone, walbro, z32 maf, front mount intercooler, an external wastegate, recirlulated bov, nice all aluminim radiator, some heat shielding around the brake stuff and a nice turbo manifold and retart timing with a msd and colder plugs maybe if needed
maybe a cometic headgasket?

i have a 2.5 in hks hi power exhuast so i'll prob have to upgrade to a 3 in right?

Last edited:
Just get an electric cutout for the exhaust, the 2.5 will make it more civil and help spool. Also if you go standalone, there's no need for other timing retarding trinkets.

Hit up ka-t.org and start reading.

A guy I met at a shop had his kouki boosting 12 lbs. He had it for like 2 years with no problems...but he spent money on tuning...tuning is everything...
knocklite
re-map
wideband....get em

if your going to go stock....change the timing chain tensioners and get a proper tune.that's all folks.the motor is gonna blow eventually especially if your drifting it...so enjoy it as much as you can....then when it blows, rebuild and go all out since you got the motor apart.

mecca motoring said:
Well frist off 12psi is pushing it and 300rwhp on a stock ka :eek:. I wouldn't boost it unless your readings were in 2psi of each other.

^^ The smartest thing ive heard in a long time. Try to make 300whp on a ka stock bottom end and its going to break. And your compression numbers, it sounds tedious but if they arent with in 2 psi I wouldn't touch it with a turbo.

water injection is a band aid for proper tuning.

with out a data logging wide band, its damn near useless other then watching the numbers and maybe tuning light throttle settings.

" min compression for turbo should be 154 accordin to NICCO!"

What dose nico say about having 190 show up on the compression gauge? I thought 179 is factory spec? lol, dont worry about it but look for the change in compression numbers to see if the engine is in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom