Clutch pedal sticking and slipping

Sketchy564

Driver
Swapped out my grinding trans this week for a new one. Before driving it, i noticed the clutch pedal is sticking. As in, i push the clutch in and it gets stuck at the bottom for a second when you release it. Pedal comes back up weak and slow, and once "engaged" it slips as if you have your foot halfway down the clutch when driving

Trying to narrow down possibilites of what could be wrong before pulling transmission again, so heres a list of what ive come up with

-Hydraulics seem to be good, has no problem pushing the TOB into the pressure plate, shifts into gears fine with no hint of grinding. Bled the slave cylinder for the hell of it, no air, and its not leaking fluid. So thats off the list

-Flywheel, clutch, or pressure plate were not touched or taken off the car for this job. The clutch and pressure plate are about 2 years old, but it had no slipping issues at all before swapping the trans, i could drive normaly, drive hard, shift hard, clutch kick, brake boost, etc with no slipping problems

Pretty much leaves me left with clutch pedal, pivot fork, spring/retainer, throw out bearing, shaft the T.O.B. slides on, and that little ball the fork hits. But the way its behaving, it seems like whatever the cause of the problem is, its affecting the pressure plate even though the condition of it was fine and it wasn't touched

At first i was thinking its because the shaft the TOB slides on was not greased, so its able to slide into the pressure plate with the force of my foot and the hydraulics pushing into it, and just wont go back because the pressure plate finger springs dont have enough force. But that doesnt seem like it would cause the clutch to slip like it is. Plus the pressure plate should be able to push it back if its in good shape, unless theres something on the transmission side forcing the TOB into it

So the only thing i can think of is that we took the TOB and retainer off the fork and put it on a vice to hammer it out. Started to hammer it for a second, but it wouldnt come out easily. I decided to just leave it on since the center part of the TOB that FRsport sent me was off center anyways, However we didnt use the vice to press it back in (since it didnt come out)

Basically, since it is (or might be) too big (from not being pressed in), when its released to its default position, its still pushing the pressure plate a little from the end of it sitting more forward.

The more i think about it, thats what i think it is. But before setting a day aside and finding somewhere to pull the trans out again, i want to think of any other possibility to either try before pulling the trans out, make sure i check while its out, or just in case thats not it

i put the important parts in bold since its a lot to read. please keep BS out of this thread, any help is appreciated.

thanks

EDIT: on a side note, not sure if its related or not, but when im in 5th gear, and only in 5th gear, i get a squeaky clicking sound. Pretty much only does it under load, and is louder/faster the faster i go, but is still evident as slow as 35 mph. Not sure if its related, hard to tell if its a TOB related noise or a whole nother issue, but thought i should throw it out there.

Last edited:
Only thing I've noticed before in swapping trans is I've gotten 1 or 2 with a longer pivot ball thing, which could be holding the TOB almost onto the PP causing what ur talking about.

DID U INSPECT THE FORK FROM OUTSIDE WITH A LIGHT W SOMEONE PUSHING CLUTCH...

I watched the fork move with the slave cylinder while bleeding the clutch while someone was pumping it if thats what you are asking

i will do that when i get a chance and have someone to pump the clutch, hopefully i will be able to see enough of the throw out bearing and pressure plate to see whats going on

well popped the boot off and took a look in there with different clutch pedal positions and its pretty hard to see anything out of the ordinary

the throw out bearing looks like its up against the pressure plate pretty tight when the clutch pedal is at rest, but i know its supposed to pretty much be resting up against it anyways. Real hard to tell if its depressing the finger springs on the pressure plate or not

tried starting my car in 1st without the clutch in, moved forward a little but started right up, took off the slave and it didnt change anything so im pretty sure i can eliminate hydraulics from the equation

well the slipping is'nt as bad as it was at first, and its getting progressively less and less. Still cant go WOT around and after 4k, but it will hold without slipping at lower RPMs and isnt as sensative as before

only thing i can think of where it would get slowly better, is something with the TOB that its slowly getting worked back in, im still thinking it might be the retainer, but i wont be able to pull the trans again for at least another week or two

any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom