CFRC SummerSlide Recap

boxmod

Driver
A lot of drivers showed up to CFRC Summer Slide, not fearing the wrath of Isaac. With waterslides and a dunk tank, this event was no ordinary day.

The day was overcast all day with little 5 minute showers. The track dried up quickly as the drifters took laps. The new layout at CFRC, now that the dragstrip is shut down, gives us the most technical track since Ocala GP days. The right hand entry quickly snaps left and heads to the staging lane area where drivers must real back the car and navigate a horshoe section. Afterwards throwing the car through a quick left to right transition, the speed is back as you slide along the tower wall and keep your momentum to get out to the crowd on the final wall ride section before snapping a left exit. Besides being technical, with a couple of barriers in place, this could be a GREAT hot lap track with multiple cars making rounds.

The days focus was the Tandem competition. Qualifying session took place and the 14 tandem class drivers were cut to a TOP 8.

From #1 down: Zoltan, McNasty, Jiovani, Jason Guild, Edel Castrejon-Perez , Kurt Durjan , Marco Tellez, and Billy Ensminger.

Just before the tandem competition began, the sky opened up and dumped buckets on the track. With no wet practice, tandem was going to be….. interesting.

Jason and Edel’s battle went OMT and Jason Guild showed of some fantastic adaptation and took the win.

Jiovani and Kurt went next with Jiovani spinning on his lead run entry, Kurt had to just play it smooth. Next run, Kurt and Jiovani both had some sloppy driving, but Kurt didn’t spin and moved on.

McNasty fell into the same fate as Jiovani when leading Marco, over rotating on the entry. Marco kept his head on and made his lead run and moved on.

Billy and Zoltan…. What can you say… after the largest gap given to another car (Zoltan still at the start when Billy was entering and failing to close the gap) and some spins, the judges couldn’t decide on who, if either, should move on. It was left up to the crowd to pick a winner using DriftWizard.com’s mobile voting ability. In a 46-16 show, Zoltan got the win.

In the Top 4 Marco made some quick work over Kurt, and Jason took the win after Zoltan spun both runs at the first clip. Consolation (battle for 3rd) Kurt faced off against Zoltan who put together some good runs. Kurt spinning out sealed 3rd place for Zoltan.

Final battle was Marco Tellez and Jason Guild. Jason putting on a straight up CLINIC on rain drifting looked fantastic throughout the competition continued to throwdown awesome runs. Marco had a big error on his chase run, almost spinning and then having to drive straight out of it, giving Jason Guild the win!
Congrats JASON GUILD!

jason-guild.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the rundown. Congrats to Jason!! And the new CFRC layout looks DOPE!

Last edited by a moderator:
yea the new layout is really fun. if they can get the pole removed, its actually more fun in reverse.

good write up Jason. here is a videos of the 8 car tandem madness hotlappin sesh..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recap Jason! I was hoping for a Jason vs. Jason battle but maybe next time... Ive never done drifting in that much water before, there were several times i was sure i was going to slam the wall. The new layout is alot of fun tho, ill be heading up there more often for sure!

no one is concerned about cars passing each other head on at the two fastest parts of the track with no k rail? Jesus. Lets thin out the herd I guess.

Sherman asked me to run it reverse to see what was better... I like it BUT the end pole your coming at it with a good amount of speed and its right there when your transitioning into that new horseshoe.... I told him it was far to dangerous and someone would hit it. I had to convince him that it was a bad idea even though it took me .1 seconds to see how bad it could be.

I mentioned to someone about the ext/entry but no one seemed to mind. I just ALWAYS played it safe when exiting so I had no chance of hitting that plastic barrier. ACTUALLY during end of the day fun runs.... we had 2 lines. Tandem, and solo. During the Exit of a tandem run with Schlagel leading, he actually took his line ALL THE WAY TO THE KRAIL WALL (yea, crossing over the entry) thankfully, by that time of day, Eric (starter) was holding cars until it was 100% clear before next went out.

Back
Top Bottom