Car shakes like crazy when letting clutch out

Sketchy564

Driver
So when im letting the clutch out slowly, the car will start shaking like crazy. Sounds and feels like an earthquake inside the car, the shifter starts spazzing out, and the hood starts bouncing up and down like a cracked out 5 year old

it happens when either going up a hill or driveway curb from a dead stop, or when im stopped and i have the wheel at full lock and im turning around, making a 3 point turn, parking, etc. It never happens once the car is driving. Never does it 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.

Its obviously something in the drivetrain. No i do not have a welded diff

Somebody said it was clutch chatter. I honestly have no idea what the fuck that is, but i dont think its the clutch. I looked it up a little, and from what i found it happens when its still cold and still happens when already moving and shifting. My car does this even after an hour of driving

Could possibly be my driveshaft. The carrier bearing is good, but one of the two bolts that go to the chassis isnt in "right". One hole (not the bolt) is stripped, so i forced it in as tight as it can go, which seemed tight enough, but who knows, it could be causing some wierd issues

The other guess i have is that the diff fluid is so old and fucked that maybe its causing the diff to freak out?I I have Peak Performance polyurethane subframe collars and i still get the nasty clunking form the diff if i let off the gas too harsh. Diff bushings are still original though without any collars, so that doesnt help

As far as the clutch chatter... idk. The youtube videos suck, and i cant really find any good information about what it is and what causes it.
Then again, my clutch engagement feels like absolute shit. Even compared to other 240s which all drive fine. Mine doesnt grab at all till half way, and then it grabs like a switch. I drove my old s14 smooth as hell when i was 16 and new to it, and i drive stick cars at work every day smoothly, old and new, with no problems. But with my own car that i know and drive every day, i still have rough starts and 1st to 2nd shifts pretty often if im not paying decent attention to it

That might be related, or a separate issue all together... i have no idea, which is way i made this dumb thread. Clutch is an XTD stage 2 if it matters. Flywheel wasnt resurfaced, just scuffed up by sandpaper, still grabs fine though.

Anybody ever had any similar problems and figured out what it was? or know a good amount on this subject that can help a kid out? Sorry for the long ass post, just trying to be descriptive

Do you have springs on your clutch disc? If not, that can cause clutch chatter.

Also having a bad carrier as you said, or even a bad transmission mount will do that. I'm betting on a bad transmission mount; or the combination of trans and motor mounts.

And then also a chattery clutch will also make bad mounts seem even worse.

I don't know, take it as you will. That's just my $.02

engine mounts? transmission mount? with the car running open the hood give the throttle a few blips, see how bad she shakes!

Last edited:
is it a clunking noise? my shifter goes insane wen it happens too, idk about the hood tho... bc it could be the rear subframe bushings and the diff bushings, mine clunks all thee time and sounds like bombs going off in the car

is it a clunking noise? my shifter goes insane wen it happens too, idk about the hood tho... bc it could be the rear subframe bushings and the diff bushings, mine clunks all thee time and sounds like bombs going off in the car

That sounds fun haha

Do you have springs on your clutch disc? If not, that can cause clutch chatter.

Also having a bad carrier as you said, or even a bad transmission mount will do that. I'm betting on a bad transmission mount; or the combination of trans and motor mounts.

And then also a chattery clutch will also make bad mounts seem even worse.

I don't know, take it as you will. That's just my $.02

Dont remember for sure but im 95% sure its sprung. The pedal is not stiff at all

I have nismo engine and tranny mounts, so thats not it, but I might as well give them a double check monday night when i change all my front suspension and make sure none of the bolts came loose. Thanks for the suggestion

engine mounts? transmission mount? with the car running open the hood give the throttle a few blips, see how bad she shakes!

In the past when ive revved it from the TB it shakes but nothing crazy

Tags are harsh.

Did you just change your clutch?

lol the only funny tag is the lake mod. other than that people have no life / are retarded and cant read / suck at trying to be funny. The clutch is the same clutch that i put my engine in with originally. I broke it in properly, and its always been doing this now that i think of it

QUOTE=carcrazee;797932]is it a clunking noise? my shifter goes insane wen it happens too, idk about the hood tho... bc it could be the rear subframe bushings and the diff bushings, mine clunks all thee time and sounds like bombs going off in the car[/QUOTE]

Its not the clunking from letting off the gas to harsh, its like a rapid fire machine gun almost.. the hood does it cause it was bent in an accident and bent back, so its not as solid as it was before. The rear subframe bushings are old as shit, but i have polyurethane subframe collars which are supposed to stop the subframe from hopping and jiggling around. The diff bushings havnt been touched tho.... i said this already dude lol

anyways ill check those mounts and see if the bolts came loose or something, hopefully its something that simple. Thank you to anyone actually helping

Back
Top Bottom