Can't move forward

Since the car can move in reverse, all the teeth of the differential most likely are all fine. Now if the car was a bit rough when initially getting out of first gear, that could just be a sign of a tranny fluid leak. If theres low fluid, and the cars cold, the fluid would have to get picked up into the gears to then run smoothly. And of course, it also would run smoother when the tranny fluid heats up. If theres is a leak, then that would also explain the problem of the car not moving forward.

As for the symptoms of a bad vlsd, it wouldnt lock up the tires under high torque. It would slip and act like an open diff.

So here's an update

For the record, the battery is at 12.5 volts when the car is off and 14.something when it's on. It's good.

I jacked all 4 wheels in the air, started her, and ran in first through fifth and reverse. Same symptoms. I go under to check for leaks. None. The plug from the lower engine harness to the tranny harness was a little loose. I pushed it in. I also unplugged the battery for 15mins. Start the car again and the problem seemed to be solved. I went through the gears (still on stands) and other than a little spitting and a backfire here or there all was good.

I took her down, drove down the block and she immediately cut out. No jerking or sputtering. Just complete shut off. Start her back up, go about ten yards in reverse, initially smoothly, and then complete shut off. No lights. No starter. Just dim dash lights fading away. I remove the negative terminal and replace. Fires up. I manage to ride my clutch the half block back to my driveway. There is no sputtering. Just Complete electrical failure in any forward gear, unless I disengage the clutch.

I know some of y'all run w/o a harness on the tranny, but I think because I have one on there it is somehow causing a short. I will test the car tomorrow after I remove the harness completely to see if that makes a difference.

Also I've am able to rotate rear wheels by hand when in neutral and there is no resistance from the tranny.

Any more input?

I'm thinking something vital is shorting out. In forward gears. Most of the time. But not after I disconnect the battery, momentarily.

Last edited:
All i can say is the obvious, Look over the tranny harness and engine harness for any shorts. Its gotta be something stupid.

check easy things first man. is your battery in the stock location? make sure the positive lead to the starter is bolted down tightly at the starter. make sure theres no loose or ripped wires anywhere in the car. double check the alt. positive post. make sure the battery is not touching the hood. etc etc

All i can say is the obvious, Look over the tranny harness and engine harness for any shorts. Its gotta be something stupid.

Let's just chalk this up to stupid shit. A bunch of bad/loose grounds/wiring and Steve (INFECTED) had her going better than new. Another thread will be up later when the beers cleared outta my head but that guy is the truth and he's chill as hell. If you find this thread havingthe same issues, holla at that guy.

/thread

Back
Top Bottom