Can anybody help me with my s2000?

DarkNuggets

My Dark Cloud Culture
Driver
when drifting at slow speeds i can get a lot of angle, but once i hit a certain speed i can't countersteer has much so i can't maintain the drift. I had a lot of problems on the first corner last weekend at the nopi tryouts cause of this.

your describing the learning process. just keep going at it. Keep sliding small stuff successfully and gradually move up.

from the looks of it... u were entering with decent speed. but u tried for too aggressive of an intiation, giving u too much angle QUICKLY, thus u would spin. The other issue was you werent within your cars power range.. u cant drift the s2k in 2nd at 3500 rpms.. not gunna happen easily, when ur doing smaller curves ur in 1st and hittin the top of it, thus it slides better for u

next time... dont try and do the WHOLE oval, just work on a late initation near the end of the curve and work ur way back. baby steps or... u could crash if u try to hard to fast

The S2000 is not an easy car to slide. Its short travel steering rack makes for very little angle and you run out of it before you even know it. That and you're not making power unless you're between 6-8k. So trying to hold a drift between those RPMs with little countersteer is very hard. But any car can be slid with enough practice. :D

Agree'd

S2k's don't have much steering angle. Try to drift lighter, and work on using multiple kinds of initiation. Don't rely on just one. you were getting too much angle too fast. Heres a clip that has one of your runs. it's in the last 40 seconds of it.

i remeber chelsea coming up to me after drifting your car and saying " i finally found a car that is harder to drift than the fc" see about maybe getting a steering angle kit. it made all the difference on my fc......

I say autocross autocross autocross and come practice on the Kart track its somewhere that i can teach you throttle control and initiation safely. Autocross is to teach you momentum, foot brake adjustments and your cars limits. oh and throttle lift oversteer. you get to learn all kinds of shit when you are driving it as fast as you can.

what camber & toe are u running? maybe playing with those we help, but its going to kill tires for daily driving.

I say autocross autocross autocross and come practice on the Kart track its somewhere that i can teach you throttle control and initiation safely. Autocross is to teach you momentum, foot brake adjustments and your cars limits. oh and throttle lift oversteer. you get to learn all kinds of shit when you are driving it as fast as you can.
Listen to this man...

S2000s have speed sensetive steering damper. Disconnect the power to it and the steering will be more consistent.

hi

I use to own an S2K when drifting the electronic steering would really mess me up there is a deley or something I would really feel the difference once I would get in my s13 and drift other then that s2k has a preety good steering angle compared with a 350Z or M3

mranlet said:
S2000s have speed sensetive steering damper. Disconnect the power to it and the steering will be more consistent.

sounds like something that could definately be messing you up and explains exactly why youre getting better steering at slower speeds

Get the car on a lift and turn the wheels all the way. Find out what is stopping them from going further.

If something is hitting something else, see if you can cut/trim or even remove that piece. Of course dont go cutting important things such as control arms etc..

If nothing is touching anything else visibly, then remove the inner tie rod boots on the steering rack and see what is stopping the rack from moving more.

On a lot of racks, the rack itself can go further, but the part of the inner tie rod that bolts to it, hits the rack housing. To fix this you need to make spacers, or have the inner machined so it can slide into the rack tube just like the rack bar itself slides inside.

If the inner tie rod is not contacting anything on the rack, then chances are that the rack simply can't go further because it doesnt have any more teeth cut into it

to fix this you can:

1-have more teeth machined into it
2-change to a different steering rack (not easy)
3-modify the spindles, so that the outer tie-rod mounts closer to the steering axis.

With option 3 your rack will still move the same, but for each mm of travel, it will pull the spindle more degrees because of the shorter lever arm. This will increase your steering ratio meaning less turns lock-to-lock, but increase steering effort also.

My BMW has this done to it and I can get some big angle now, if I want more I need to make longer control arms because my tires hit the inner frame. This is with only shortening the steering arm by 30%.

If you choose option 3, make sure you have a qualified fabrication shop do it, because the welds need to be good, and both sides need to be identical.

Oh and like everyone else said, just keep at it.

By the way I am the guy who you gave a ride across the street from Pizza Hut to the gas station at DriftFury Charlotte county.

Also I drifted a blue S2000 at the Hialeah Slide event back in 2004 and I liked the cars dynamics a lot. I never really noticed a lack of steering angle, the car is just very responsive so you have to be smooth and controlled with your inputs. It could also use a lysholm supercharger to give the damn thing some real bottom end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom