Ca18det Problems

Okay i thought my CA was blown but now im having second thoughts. When i start it and it idles and sounds like its only running off of 1 cylinder. When i hear knocking it doesnt seem like the motor is blown it just sounds like its trying so hard to work off that one cylinder. i also heard a phrase called "piston slapping" which makes the same noise. I tried driving it but only got about 30 feet until it stalled but i heard it spool. I started it up about 2 min later and for about 30 seconds it was idleing fine off of all 4 cylinders with no knocking! Im thinking maybe a boost leak or a bad ignitor??? But this guy who did my swap was convinced that it was blown. Im thinking maybe he didnt want to figure out what was exactly wrong with it so he just told me it was blown. I really need help with this because id hate to get rid of it if its just something simple.

Check the compression on the motor...If all the compression is good then its not blown.
the knocking could be cause of a bad misfire or things slapping the engine bay cause of the rough idle (a/c lines, fmic pinping etc.) Or at worst a spun bearing.

It's definitely not a boost leak (although you could have one) or a bad ignitor that's causing you to run on less than all 4. Possibly coilpacks or spark plugs though. Do you smell large amounts of fuel?

the guy who did my swap in my old car...tryed to charge me to rebuild my motor....turns out it was bad wiring to the #3 injector. peice of tape fixed everything. he tried to screw me hard...luckily i got a second opinion.

Check the spark plugs... When I got my new coupe I ran Seafoam through the brakebooster and it killed three of the four plugs (dam Boshe POS plugs the old owner had!) Anyway it was running on one cyl and if you were lucky it would kick into all four and run smooth for a bit.. it really sounds like you have dead plugs.. it's easy enough to check, just take one of the plugs out while it's still hoooked upto the line and have a friend crank the engine with the plug touching the block you should see it spaking if it's good.

Back
Top Bottom