brake locking up. help!!

DR809

Ok so this is the second time this happens, my brakes just lock up while I'm driving really bad, the pedal gets hardd, tI gotta go hard on the gas to make it move. The first time I got a new caliper that was leaking, pads, disks that fucked up & bleed my brakes all around. Two months later they lock up again! Is it my brake master cylinder, booster? I was going to buy them but this mechanic told me there was no need to that they were fine.

aw damn son... youre just mad cuz its been like 3 years and you have still yet to write a paragraph.

hahaha I have one, I think... I just keep forgetting that I have it.

When the pedal gets stiff and the brakes lock up, does one particular corner grab more than the next? Do you notice any burning smell?

Frequently when you have a brake issue, the side smoking hot could be locked up but it's also possible that the opposite side is not doing anything at all which makes the rest of the brakes work even harder.

Once the brakes get stiffer, park it and jack up the hole car. With all four wheels off the ground, spin each wheel by hand and see if one corner is dragging. Then apply the brakes lightly and have a helper check to see if one corner works less than another.

Check your caliper slides and make sure the caliper moves freely. Also check to see if your brake pads are worn evenly, a pair that worn more than the rest could indicate caliper/bracket seizing issues OR point you to the opposite side if you don't find a problem.

A collapsed brake caliper hose can allow fluid to enter the caliper when you apply the brakes but fail to release pressure as you remove your foot. The caliper hose could bulge indicating an issue but frequently, the hose can have a tear in the inner lining which you won't be able to see or feel.

A stiff brake pedal can be caused by overheating/seized components but also by a brake booster failing. If you've ever removed the vacuum line leading to the boost and then tried to drive it then you'd know that a failed booster can cause an extremely firm pedal.
Doug

when this happened to me a couple years ago i changed everything brake wise except the brake booster(vacumm booster) and it still froze up on me. changed the booster and havent had a problem since!

When the pedal gets stiff and the brakes lock up, does one particular corner grab more than the next? Do you notice any burning smell?

Frequently when you have a brake issue, the side smoking hot could be locked up but it's also possible that the opposite side is not doing anything at all which makes the rest of the brakes work even harder.

Once the brakes get stiffer, park it and jack up the hole car. With all four wheels off the ground, spin each wheel by hand and see if one corner is dragging. Then apply the brakes lightly and have a helper check to see if one corner works less than another.

Check your caliper slides and make sure the caliper moves freely. Also check to see if your brake pads are worn evenly, a pair that worn more than the rest could indicate caliper/bracket seizing issues OR point you to the opposite side if you don't find a problem.

A collapsed brake caliper hose can allow fluid to enter the caliper when you apply the brakes but fail to release pressure as you remove your foot. The caliper hose could bulge indicating an issue but frequently, the hose can have a tear in the inner lining which you won't be able to see or feel.

A stiff brake pedal can be caused by overheating/seized components but also by a brake booster failing. If you've ever removed the vacuum line leading to the boost and then tried to drive it then you'd know that a failed booster can cause an extremely firm pedal.
Doug

the first time this happened i filled up the brake fluid because it was halfway full then i drove the car & the brakes locked up after a while of driving it, i wore out all the pads (2months ago) .. this recent time it happened getting into my job's parking lot & i check the brake fluid & it was really low.. when i turn on the car at the end of the day the brakes arent locked up because i can move the car with my foot while sitting in it.. i really wanna figure out if its the brake booster or the master cylinder or wtf??. i got a bmc from autozone that just came today, but im not sure if i should put it in if its the brake booster that might be the problem?

Put in the bmc if you have it. Even if it's not it (which I bet it is), it's a good idea to replace your old one to eliminate that as a possibility.

Which brake pads were worn the most? This would help determine if ALL corners are locking up or if just one side. I know it's frustrating but the only way you're going to KNOW if you're diagnosing it properly is to try while the brakes are causing a problem. If you attempt to diagnose when the condition isn't happening, you're going to have a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom