bluing 304 stainless steel???

jdmbrian

i might have alittle rice in me. i never liked the bluing done to exhaust tip but im gonna change my exhaust setup, and im making something custom. i went down a stainless shop got myself some 3" od 304 stainless steel piping.

does anyone know how to blue stainless steel? does heat work? or is it chemically produced?

any help would be great.

here is the type of blueing im talking about. i started wanting to experiment after seeing my friends z with his top secret exhaust i thought it looked good.

l_183d8d27bc0903ef87c8847bfb0ac011.jpg

l_7f9d178740df39612a69f1dd57f30e4e.jpg

00af_3.jpg

thank you in advance for any help given

In theory this is done with heat, but it would generally need to be a very controlled manner to make the effect even.

I would do several tests on some scrap 304 before i started messing with the actual exhaust tips (unless they were cheap). It may be difficult to reproduce this same effect by hand, but then again, maybe not. Just give it a shot.

KRM

Stainless steel changes color after it has been subjected to temperature. Unfortunately the temperature of where you would get this bluing effect from heat is beyond the temperature for natural air contamination. In order to do this with heat the piece would have to be in a inert gas box, a box that you can place the muffler tip in, and feed argon into it so no oxygen is present. Blah blah blah you cant do it with heat. Get your airbrush kit out.

tried it with heat from a mapp flame burns alittle hotter then propane. but i think i have to heat the metal with a colder flame.

IMG00454.jpg

see the tip, how its getting more dark and dirty. Thats too hot. If you want to get something blue on there polish that off and dont let it get that hot. Start at the edge of the muffler and work your way in, dont go from the the inside to the outside edge.

right now im at work. when i get home ima try heating up the tips with the yellow part of the flame and see what happens.

jdmbrian said:
right now im at work. when i get home ima try heating up the tips with the yellow part of the flame and see what happens.

get a tip that has a larger area and run a softer flame, it will give your material less heat concentration so your color will be broader.

ur using oxygen\acetylene ?

240SicknessX said:
get a tip that has a larger area and run a softer flame, it will give your material less heat concentration so your color will be broader.

ur using oxygen\acetylene ?

USED MAPP GAS.

BOSS HERE AT WORK TOLD ME TO USE ACETONE. IT KINDA WORKED BUT I NOTICED THAT THE METAL STOPPED CHANGING COLORS AFTER ITS BEEN HEATED. I TRIED ON A NEWER PIECE OF THE PIPE AND IT KINDA WORKED BUT ITS ALOT OF WORK.

Back
Top Bottom