biggest Issue with Newb Drifters.

HellaCaliJosh

is hungry
Driver
From a noob's perspective:

I feel its the lack of places....
I want to learn how to drift and would love a place to practice regularly, but the only place is countyline skidpad.

As good as having an event close to miami is, don't get me wrong but the skidpad aint much. I specd it once and it was like 20 cars, and most people got like one minute track time tops per each run and then had to go back to the start of the line.
The audience was....:ugh: eh lets just leave it at that.

Now lets say I went there to learn and practice, with 20 cars behind me and lots of more experienced drivers around I would definitely feel pressured. It be like go in, get 30 secs run and try not to spin out, then get out.

So the only options for a noob like me are a)skidpads b) streetsliding in deserted warehouses and what not, which only works once a week and you have to alternate between spots to prevent from heating them too much, and you are always looking out for cops, security, etc etc, and there's no one to instruct you tell you what you are doing wrong or whatever.

If there was a place like ebisu, with dedicated tracks for beginners, intermediate, advanced drivers, etc, it be a different story.

But it aint, so you just make do with what you got

you gotta do what you gotta do. We have all been there. You think anybody else in Florida was training at Ebisu before they came to a Countyline second left set up. Fuck no. We learned at what events were available and what streets we could.

Here is the Issue with Newbs. They want to skip knowing how to drive a car at speed properly and go straight to Drifting. Drifting is an advanced level of driving. Some people pick it up easily without other motorsports experience but the lack of experience in others holds them back horribly. Its like in skateboarding if you just know how to stand on a board and push yourself around.........skipping the learning how to do a simple ollie but trying to 360 kickflip......all while on a broke ass board.

you gotta do what you gotta do. We have all been there. You think anybody else in Florida was training at Ebisu before they came to a Countyline second left set up. Fuck no. We learned at what events were available and what streets we could.

Here is the Issue with Newbs. They want to skip knowing how to drive a car at speed properly and go straight to Drifting. Drifting is an advanced level of driving. Some people pick it up easily without other motorsports experience but the lack of experience in others holds them back horribly. Its like in skateboarding if you just know how to stand on a board and push yourself around.........skipping the learning how to do a simple ollie but trying to 360 kickflip......all while on a broke ass board.

only place to practice is skid pad, wait it out and try your hardest...its actually helps when u have pressure , you just have to focus on what your messing up on. kids like him dont have the patients to learn . i like going to skid pad it feels good being able to do what u can without getting in trouble . yea the lines suck but who cares in two weeks there be another one!

Its not the only place to practice drifting. If New drifters would worry more about learning how to drive a car at it limits Learning how to drift wouldn't be so difficult. Go Autocross. Play Video games. Play with your fucking car. Watch Videos of real drifting. Pay fucking attention to what they do. Make friends with a person that actually drifts instead of learning bad habits from your poser friends.

Its not the only place to practice drifting. If New drifters would worry more about learning how to drive a car at it limits Learning how to drift wouldn't be so difficult. Go Autocross. Play Video games. Play with your fucking car. Watch Videos of real drifting. Pay fucking attention to what they do. Make friends with a person that actually drifts instead of learning bad habits from your poser friends.

truth...

if you're so concerned with peoples opinions about your driving skill as a new person... then quit. I'll give you 200 bucks for your 240. go take up masturbation as a hobby. no one will criticize your skill at that.

and with 20 people with an average of 1 minute each. You will get 3 minutes of drifting per hour for 4-5 hours. so 15 minutes combined of straight drifting. that's not bad. you will run out of tires and money before you run out of seat time at countyline.

Last edited:

AMEN! everywhere i go..i mean everywhere i drive aggressive.even with my dad in the car.i grip it up on off ramps and shit... trying to see the cars limits and how it reacts.

Grand Turismo 3 son.

AMEN! everywhere i go..i mean everywhere i drive aggressive.even with my dad in the car.i grip it up on off ramps and shit... trying to see the cars limits and how it reacts.

x2
constantly taking a turn just 5 mph faster and seeing where that limit before i understeer is for future reference, its also fun aswell, but again u need your share of experience to know what to do when u face understeer/oversteer, as well as how the car reacts to certain styles of driving

just go out and have fun. who cares if your first few events turn into spin classes. None of the real drivers are going to laugh or look down on a beginner trying to progress, as long as you don't have an attitude. Most of the best drivers out there are also the coolest and most helpful.

To be honest I am a bit nervous of my next event once my car is back together because I haven't drifted at all in like, freaking 2 years. But the only choice is to either get back on the horse or...don't.

At least I will be able to blame my lameness on getting used to my 'new setup', lol what a copout.

you might go through 5 cars before you realize your mistakes.

this is what i mean by not listening to posers. Why would it take 5 cars to learn how to drive. It should take 1. If you are crashing them before you even know how to drift you need to stop drifting and learn how to drive.

i said he might fuck up five cars before he gets a hang of it. it should take one. but dont give up. and who the fuck are you to call me a poser.

I'm Josh. If anybody crashes 5 cars just to get the hang of drifting. They should give up drifting.

ps. we need spectators watching. why not just be happy being one of those people.

Ok this is the problem with giving people who are new to drifting long run times. They go out try to drift the layout when they mess up they get discouraged and start doing burnouts and donuts to boost their ego.
With 30-60 second runs it forces the person to focus on what their doing wrong and to use the time they have appropriately.

I'm slowly learning at the skid pad the wait and run times doesnt bother me.

Ok this is the problem with giving people who are new to drifting long run times. They go out try to drift the layout when they mess up they get discouraged and start doing burnouts and donuts to boost their ego.
With 30-60 second runs it forces the person to focus on what their doing wrong and to use the time they have appropriately.

This guy knows facts and shit.

I remember when I first started. The first few times were just seeing how the car reacted and what I can do to keep the drift or not lose it. Once I got the hang of holding the drift, I just kept pushing it harder and harder. I didn't start off doing 3rd gear clutch kicks.

Also, get to know your car. I was on stock suspension for about a year, and as much body roll as the car had, I learned a lot about my car. You don't need a lot of power or a full race car suspension. Just go out to the skidpad, and start learning.

Just stick it out at the skid pad you can ask tim or juan or really anyone that's slides there I practically grew up on the skid pad. I even started with an open diff an all stock car.

i have to agree with what anyone with experience has said in here so far. the wait times are some of the best times, hangin out throwing jokes, getting to know people... i once had a 7th grade teacher tell me i was a social butterfly, it then happend again in highschool... lol, but foreal drifting is fun and if you cant enjoy every aspect of it (including the waits) then gtfo... the only wait i cant stand is the wait to get to the track... anyway, as josh was saying if it takes you 5 cars to get drifting down well all i can say is WOW!!!!!

get all gold in gt3 licenses and then start drifting. know your limits, it very realistic. i used to stay up all night trying to figure out lines and thats how i learned. i think line is the hardest part, cuz once you learn a proper line you have already learned car control.

some noobs want to come in an be handed everything. laziness does not = success in anything except failure.

if you talk to everyone you can, and actually listen, watch all the videos you can, and actually pay attention, drive as much as you can, and focus on what your doing.... you can learn faster than you think. at least now-a-days there are people around to give the advice some of us never got.

basically, anyone complaining about how 'difficult life is learning to drift' is in it for the wrong reasons.

anything worth doing is worth struggling to do.
if you wanna go somewhere tomorrow, you gotta get ready today.
doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is insanity.
milk does a body good.
its a jungle out there, wear a condom

im all out of helpful one-liners for now. sorry.

Damn so much hate and you missed the biggest point. There's a reason why I ended my post by stating "But it aint, so you just make do with what you got"

Basically, I agree with what everyone posted. You aint got a private track to play with? tough shit, you either learn with what you have available or you don't. Thats what "you just make do with what you got" means :rolleyes:

However, due to my work/study schedule, going to the skidpad was not an option. So the only option would be to streetslide and take the risk of getting busted, or just sit on my computer being a fanboi and watching videos. (and hell no quitting my job is not an option)

Thats what my post was about, from my perspective. The conversation was about what the problem with drifting in florida was, and I gave an answer from my perspective as a noob: having more spots would be awesome. Nowhere in my post did I say "I want to learn to dorifto but I can't because there are no ebisu here!'', because I still go out alone on weekend nights looking for spots to practice on and improve, however slowly or unguided.

To use your skateboarding example. Its like comparing only having a spot you can practice on a few minutes per week and risk getting busted, with being able to chill and skate all you wanted in Barcelona -back in its golden days- huge difference. Does it mean you won't skate? no, but it would surely be a lot easier :bigthumbu

So yeah, once again since we are all basically on the same page "But it aint, so you just make do with what you got"

Now lets stop arguing and lets build our own secret-guerrilla-drift-track, Burnside Style:lolhittin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom