Best truck for DD and drift car hauling

So I'm considering buying a truck to trailer my drift car to events but since my daily took a shit on me this also means I will have to daily drive it.

I don't know shit about trucks and the fuel mileage some get concerns me, I'm looking to spend around 6,000 bucks so what do you truck driving bros recommend?

Keep in mind I'm in Iowa until aug. in case you show me some craigslist ads

Last edited:
Just around to local events? Like not going more than 5-600 miles one way?
I would recommend a newer Chevy/GMC 1500 with the 5.3 motor. They'll get pretty decent mileage, and the 5.3 is a bulletproof Chevy small block. Chevy trucks have real nice interiors, and the truck should last for ever.

Diesels are rad, but it's tough to find a sick deal on a worthwhile diesel truck these days.

Yeah pretty much just Florida events for now.

I'm going to look into those things now.

Deff a good idea. If you're gonna be doing a lot of out of state travel through the mountains and stuff, I would recommend a diesel. If you are just gonna do local Florida, get a nice Chevy 1500. The 1500 will be easier to drive everyday, and you'll be able to get a newer nicer truck for a good deal.
With the diesel trucks, you'll want a 2500 short bed for easy daily drivability, and people think those things are worth GOLD! Haha. If I didn't travel all over the country, I would FOR SURE get like an 04+ Chevy 1500 with a 5.3.

Yeah man I was going to get a Chevy 1500 from carmax. You can get a newer one for pretty cheap they wanted 9 for the one I was looking at but I was concerned about fuel mileage

My Step dad's 2006 Silverado 1500 has 286,000 miles and gets 17-18 mpg. He drives it to Orlando from Miami and back almost every weekend. It looks beat up but motor still runs super awesome and gets awesome gas mileage.

Don't get an f150 if your wanting decent gas mileage. My old 05 5.4 was a pig

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Additionally my trailer might be up for sale soon

The 5.3's get pretty decent mileage. It's just an iron block smaller disPlacement ls1

I got a 2008 Trailblazer LT with the 4.2 inline 6 being that the farthest ill be going is countyline and maybe cfrc should be able to tow that far just fine hopefully. I was getting real close to getting the 1500 though

I absolutely agree with Pat. If your going through hills/mountains diesel is the only option. If not a chevy 1500 is perfect. Stupid cheap to maintain and fair fuel economy.

I've had a '99 1500 Silverado LT for 11-12 years...practically since brand new and I just recently replaced the OEM waterpump.

They really are pretty much bullet proof.

IF you can find a duramax with Allison tranny jump on it! if not go with what Pat said...

I wouldn't recommend a 4runner. My 96 gets:
16-city
20-highway
16-highway towing my 240 on a trailer

and thats with a dynomax vt muffler and airbox mod. About the only things Im gonna do to maybe bump the mpgs up a tad is switch to an electric fan, upgrade spark plugs and shorten up the exhaust piping.

Also the shorter wheelbase makes the truck feel a little unstable when towing on windy days

Back
Top Bottom