Auto engine into 5 speed tranny swap

After almost 270,000 miles on my 91' KA24DE, the motor has finally given out. It started out with a rattle inside the engine that I couldn't find for weeks. Then it just died on me one day. Turned out that the top timing chain guide broke off and seized the engine.

As for now, I found a temporary engine to swap in there while I rebuild my original. The temporary engine is an AUTOMATIC 93' KA24DE.

My question is, what do I need to do to swap this engine into my 1991 240sx with existing 5 speed tranny from my old engine? Any alignment tools needed for this process? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Swap out all auto parts with the manual parts into your temporary engine. Flywheel/clutch/tranny. And make sure you take out the auto pilot bushing in the crank. i think thats about it. Put engine in car, harness and the other crap and just go from there.

You dont need any sensors, you just need your transmission, clutch, flywheel and pressue plate. All the bolts need to be swapped over. You need to pull the bushing out of the crank or the auto motor.

i suggest you dont attempt at this seeing how you are not mechanically inclined, swap is easy but for a noob can be quite difficult.
ill do it for you for cheap if you want. let me know.:bigthumbu

Ya, the swap is not all that hard, i am in the middle of doing 1 right now. But, i am also a mechanic, and there are certain things that can cause you problems. Remove auto pilot bushing, remove auto flywheel bolts, throw away auto tranny (lol), and remove auto trans harness and only leave the speed sensor wire, then bolt up. Probably not recommended if not too mechanically inclined.

you need a clutch alignment tool

its easy you just need to take off the automatic transmission,automatic transmission bolts, torque converter, flexplate, pilot bushing, flexplate bolts

after you do that, you should change the rear main seal if it looks dry rotted or cracking or w/e.

put new manual pilot bushing, flywheel, manual flywheel bolts, clutch + pressure plate, transmission, manual transmission bolts. use your same harness

Sorry it took so long. Been busy with work. Thank you everyone! The removal of the old pilot bushing was a piece of cake! I borrowed a blind hole puller from the auto store. It took three good slide hammers putting some ass into it. I got pics of the job so I'll make a thread later for others.

Thanks for everyone's service but I already got friends to help me with the process.

The installation of the new one was also easy. But the question is, how deep am I hammering that new bushing in? Right now it's flushed with edge of the crank.

Back
Top Bottom