Are Art Colleges worth the $$$?

xtylerx

Spectator
so ive been looking into fullsail university, but i dont really know if its worth taking mad loans out. is going to help me get a better job by art college for animation vs going to a 4 year university for animation?

sure, the arts college degree will be called BFA in Video Game Art and Animation, and the university degree will be called BA in Multimedia Studies, but is it worth spending $85k vs basically getting paid to go to FAU because of bright futures and florida prepaid?

any input would be GREATLY appreciated

paying 85k to go to school isnt worth it unless your coming out a DOCTOR! the only way i could conceivably pay that much for school is if (like my buddy mike) would be coming out practicing medicine making like 2mill a year!

I'd do FAU with the free ride instead.
In the end of the day, it's your charisma and persistance that will get you the job(Including who you know and experience). Not your credentials from a slightly more expensive school.

Yea that's been my thought (I was supposed to start in january at fullsail but I decided not to). But I've looked at the classes id take at each school and its like

Fau-
History, math english, random shit I don't need for the major, and then finally like drawing 1 and 2, and introduction to animation.

Vs.

Fullsail -
3 core classes, and the rest all art, media, and animation courses

I'm just worried I won't get the education needed to work in the field I want to go into

Art schools in Florida fail. If you really want to go to an art school head up to NY. That's where the best art schools are at.

Hmm. Maybe for like drawing and painting, but from what I've read and some people I've talked to, california is the best place for digital arts schools and jobs. (I'm trying to get involved in level development for video games)

Hmm. Maybe for like drawing and painting, but from what I've read and some people I've talked to, california is the best place for digital arts schools and jobs. (I'm trying to get involved in level development for video games)

AHhhhh gotcha yeah Cali would be your best bet for that field no doubt.

Hey man i live in Orlando. My gf and best friend go there. They both really like it, my gf is glad she went there. Basically the job area your looking into is alot about who you know, so making worth your time while you are there is important. Asking questions and getting to know guest speakers. if you want to ill give you my gf's email and you can talk to her about it if your serious

Hey man i live in Orlando. My gf and best friend go there. They both really like it, my gf is glad she went there. Basically the job area your looking into is alot about who you know, so making worth your time while you are there is important. Asking questions and getting to know guest speakers. if you want to ill give you my gf's email and you can talk to her about it if your serious

Thanks man, I don't really have too many questions that havnt been answered yet, I guess my main one is just if its woorth the money. I don't doubt that id love going to fullsail, but I'm wondering if companies would look at someone with a degree from fullsail higher than someone with a degree from FAU

My dad talked to one of the professors at full sail at a home brewers association meeting (yes, beer) and the guy basically told my dad how fullsail is definitely a rip off.

I've heard that some people like it, but it is super expensive. I've also heard that there are some people who refuse to hire full sail graduates because they dont like how/what full sail teaches.. Just sayin. You can go almost anywhere and get art-type degrees. My suggestion to you is to go to a larger, well known university with a good rep to get the degree you're looking for. Don't waste your money on an arts college unless its a super awesome and legit place like some of those in NY and Cali. But seriously, staying in state and going to a major university is your best bet.

My dad talked to one of the professors at full sail at a home brewers association meeting (yes, beer) and the guy basically told my dad how fullsail is definitely a rip off.

I've heard that some people like it, but it is super expensive. I've also heard that there are some people who refuse to hire full sail graduates because they dont like how/what full sail teaches.. Just sayin. You can go almost anywhere and get art-type degrees. My suggestion to you is to go to a larger, well known university with a good rep to get the degree you're looking for. Don't waste your money on an arts college unless its a super awesome and legit place like some of those in NY and Cali. But seriously, staying in state and going to a major university is your best bet.

Thank you soooo much. I've heard this type of thing before but wasn't sure how reliable the resource was. That pretty much helped me make my decision, but now to find a good university with degrees in what I'm interested in

I'm finishing up at an art school in Michigan called CCS, only because of their transportation design program. If I had to do it again I think I'd take advantage of the Florida schools that pay you and at least get liberal arts classes out of the way. Then if you do decide to go to an expensive art school after, it will be great to have those classes out of the way so you can concentrate on animation, which if it's a good school, will be a shit ton of work.

Also companies tend to hire and scout locally so if you want to end up in Cali you should try to go to school there.

I'm finishing up at an art school in Michigan called CCS, only because of their transportation design program. If I had to do it again I think I'd take advantage of the Florida schools that pay you and at least get liberal arts classes out of the way. Then if you do decide to go to an expensive art school after, it will be great to have those classes out of the way so you can concentrate on animation, which if it's a good school, will be a shit ton of work.

Also companies tend to hire and scout locally so if you want to end up in Cali you should try to go to school there.

Yea I've taken the required classes for most art colleges, so that's taken care of. But I havnt been able to find any good california state colleges or universities that aren't "art schools" that offer video game design or animation degrees. And I've been thinking that it would help to go to school in california since that's where all the jobs are

Back
Top Bottom