Anyone have any knowledge with fresh water aquariums?

Mr. Steef

^Chris Kastner^
Driver
The other day I decided to start small and got a small 2.5 gallon tank and bought two glowfish and a tiger barb after buying them I realized I should have done some research before buying. The barn gets along really well with my two glowfish the barb actually swims with them and likes them. I figured he was lonely by himself and read that barbs do better in schools of 3 or more so I went down to the store and picked up another tiger barb which turned out to be a female. Well the male tiger barb chased the female around continuously then last night she died. So here's my question im going to be buying a bigger tank (a 10 gallon) I wanted to get some more tiger barbs should I introduce the one I have to the new ones or should I just get something else due to the fact he is king of the tank since he's the biggest fish I have. I also read when in schools they establish a pecking order to split up their aggression. I'm afraid if I get more barbs he'll attack them also and it will be a waste of time.

Any input is appreciated thanks!

sorry dont buy barbs they are not good fish try to get some angel fish those are super calm and also rainbow and red tail sharks are also good fish

i got a big tank for 50 bucks if ya want. comes with fake trees and shit for the inside and a lot of turtle food lol

How big? I'm kinda leaning toward bringing my barb back to the store as much as I don't want to but I might try putting him and some other barbs in a separate tank to see what happens then if it turns out well ill put them in the new tank the one I have is doing really well with the two glowfish but who knows

I wouldn't take the barb back to the store thats mean :( lol but really, you should just keep it in the small tank you already have. If it gets along with the gold fish I would just leave them be. Or, try to get another male. The male was probably chasing the female because it was trying to breed with her.

When you start a new, bigger tank, I would say buy fish in at least pairs. Most fish like to stay in schools so they like having 2 or 3 of them at least. Angel fish are very nice fish to have, but they can be aggressive towards smaller fish. We actually put angel fish in our tank full of guppies to try and control our guppy population. It definitely worked because the angel fish would eat the babies, but they really didn't get along super well.

Just do some research online. There are several sites that give fish combination recommendations. If you go for a bigger tank, you may want to consider a fish that will eat algae so you don't have to clean it as often. We had Oto catfish because they stay fairly small so they are perfect for smaller/beginner tanks. Make sure you dont get fish that will grow too big for your tank. You want to make sure that when the fish are fully grown they will still have a good amount of room to swim around. Some fish grow differently. For example, you wouldn't want to put a koi in a fish tank because they get huge, but if they dont have enough room to grow they wont do very well. Goldfish can actually get pretty big too. I have a pond that I put those cheap feeder goldfish in, as well as some fancy ones, and they get huge. One of the feeders was about 11 inches long and 5 years old before it died. So yea, do your research and try to choose the best fish for the habitat you can provide.

Thanks kouki salt water is too expensive to maintain for me

how is it expensive? all u gotta do is get ur water from the ocean and ur good to go, and its so much nicer then a freshwater, and u can get cooler fish, i have a shark and other crazy things in my tank

u dont need any of that shit, i have a 125 gallon saltwater tank with a shark, angle, butterfly fish and some other little fish, and a 24 gallon reef coral tank, i dont worry about sand or salt mix cuz i get it all frm the ocean so that is free, and u dont need a protein skimmer, granted the lights are more expensive depending on what u wanna do, and as far as live rock goes all u need to do is buy like 2 lbs of live rock that goes for 5.99 a pund and get dead rock to put on top of it and give it time and it will all turn into live rock, i vary rarly check my PH or any of that BS cuz i do alot of water changes and use fresh clean ocean water, it really isnt that much work and it is much more fun to do then salt water, at one time i had a 155 gallon 24 gallon 327 gallon and a 55 gallon saltwater tank setup lol its a really fun hobbie to do :bigthumbu

Back
Top Bottom