Announcement on cages

Sean Love

Mods, maybe make this a sticky?

Discussed this yesterday, and we will not require full cages in order to tandem from now on.

In an effort to make the competition level more accessible to everyone and further raise the level in Florida, we decided that for tandem, cars will be required to have the following:

1) A 4point rollbar made of material that meets SCCA regulation for a cage in your vehicle.

2) All OEM side impact protection

3) An approved form of additional side impact protection.

Approved material:

1500-2200lbs------------1.5inch DOM tubing, .095 wall

2200-3000lbs----------- 1.75inch DOM tubing, .095wall

3001-4000lbs------------1.75inch DOM tubing, .120 wall

over 4000lbs------------2.00inch DOM tubing, .120 wall

DOM tubing means 'drawn over mandrel' and it is perfectly round, smooth seamless tubing, not rolled.

Side impact protection will need to be at least a single tube, spanning the full door opening, made from the same material as the rollbar. The side bar needs to be attached at the forward end in an approved manner to ensure proper strength so please consult with Ter-Tech before doing anything. I will try to make some drawings of the best options.

We hope that this will lower costs for people wanting to go to the next level, and later on it will be easy to make the rollbar setup into a full cage. Also a 4pt rollbar is much easier to remove from a crashed shell than a full cage.

We still reserve the right to approve drivers individually for tandem and of course every other aspect of the car will need to be competition-ready.

Looking forward to bigger things for FL!

Its not for anything official, just lets people tandem withot having to have a full cage installed. Hopefully it will help raise the level in advance of a series maybe in 2009

i dunno what the demensions of my 6 point is but here is some pix of it!

cage2.jpg

cage1.jpg

im gonna have a halo put in and also run it through the dash. then have some more cross bars in the rear later on down the road...

Once my car runs again I was going to put in a full cage minus the halo and A pillar bars for street saftey w\o a helmet. Then I was going to make those pieces bolt on so I can take them out for street driving. All SCCA legal crap.

Hey DownSouth your setup looks fine, you should find out the tubing thickness just for your own knowledge though.

Also FYI the rear portion of your cage would not be legal for most roadracing and sanctioned pro drifting events. To be legal for most pro stuff, your rear down-bars are allowed to have 1 bend maximum. It would be a simple matter of putting 2 tubes straight down to the trunk floor, or to the shock towers, and with your existing tubes, it would make it even better in the event of a rollover.

Last edited:
Side impact protection will need to be at least a single tube, spanning the full door opening, made from the same material as the rollbar. The side bar needs to be attached at the forward end in an approved manner to ensure proper strength so please consult with Ter-Tech before doing anything. I will try to make some drawings of the best options.
more info on this "foward end" stuff plz...need location location location

GREAT thread btw...very good news

Last edited:
^^ All you have to do is weld proper plates to the floor and you're good.

Well I Was thinking something for the front of the side bar to connect to higher up, in orde to provide more side protection. Like welding a bracket to the kick panel area aince normally a sidebar connects to the forward cage downtube.

The sidebars can be made removable also but need to be bolted in very securely. I would say at least a 4inch sleeved section at the rear with two 1/2inch bolts and a plate at the front with at least four 1/2 inch bolts

grade 8 or better I would bet. Not liek theres much price difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom