A warning to those of you that love the super stanced out s**t.

Not having the proper ride height, geometry, suspension stroke, and aligment can and will result in this bullshit.
[yt]nGu8FPRDiSk[/yt]

I did not see anything in that video that was caused my any of the things you said. He was driving like a dick and over compensated for the bump.

Guys it's cold and he is on summer only tires and hits Ice

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Nothing to do with anything in the thread title not that the camber and everything didn't make it worse but even at stock height and camber probably would of happened

Last edited:
Thread title is way off. There are multiple parts out there made for slammed cars that will correct roll center. OP is just a purist, and that's cool.

I mean, if you don't think a super stiff suspension and an absurd amount of camber doesn't make you lose grip easily, then go ahead. If he overcompensated for the bump, a lot more people would be making that same mistake with stock cars. Most people have the driving skills of a duck out on the road, so car manufacturers make suspensions not only to be comfortable, but safe for anyone to use.

Let's put it like this... That IS300 was, what I believe, way to low, super stiff, and the alignment settings were way off, according from the amount of camber seen in the video. Being that low causes bumpsteer. Being that stiff makes the car reaction the road conditions more exaggerated, and that amount of camber is just asking for it. So this combination of badly thought out suspension tuning plus how stupid he was driving, caused him to lose control of his vehicle. It didn't even seem like he was pushing it. He just gave it a little gas to get around some guy.

Now, I've driven like an asshole before, and when I say asshole, I mean shit's getting dangerous (this is all in the past), but I have never lost control due to a little ass bump on the road. It's either because I have a stock suspension, or I have a properly set up suspension.

Yes, the guy was driving like a dick. Got it. But what he did was way less then some of the shit I've seen on the road, and he paid a harder price because he wanted a cool looking car. Take the time to make sure your car is safe for operation on the road before you slap a bunch of parts on it and say something like, "Dude, my car is so rad."

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

And big deal if it's cold and wet, or whatever. Look at the other cars. Not a flinch going over the bumps. I've driven my 86 with racing suspension in TN while it's cold and wet during the winter. With being as light as the 86 is with a stiff suspension setup for the track, my car never flinched, even if I was going 80 mph.

I understand, you want to defend the look of these cars. It goes hand and hand with drifting and it's culture. I'm just saying be careful with what you do to your cars and who you endanger.

I know that many pro race car mechanics would agree with me on what I'm saying. Just read some of Mike Kojima's stuff on MotoIQ. Cars become a little less predictable to drive when it goes past the limit of what it was designed to operate with.

You ignored what I said. I wreaked a stock suspension wrx in colorado due to the owner having summer only tires in cold weather on dry roads was driving really calmly and went to turn and the car just didn't react and put it into a truck. The weather is obviously cold judging by the steam on the exhaust and ice on the road.

Looks to be more of a tire and driver issue than suspension. As he was accelerating he went over the bump which caused his wheel speed to increase enough to make the rear end to come out.

Toyota Power + Crappy Tires + Road and weather conditions = Rear end to come out unexpectedly

The driver panicked as he was facing a wall and over-corrected. His suspension setup may have contributed to the problem but I don't see it as the main culprit.

Thread title should be: "A warning to those of you who fail to realize how powerful Toyota motors are" /bias

Last edited:
Lol @ Ben. I still believe the combination of these things helped cause the driver lose control of the car. You can be Michael Schumacher all you want, but a poorly set up car will be a handful all you want. Why put yourself in more danger by making a car have less grip than stock? If the car had the proper contact patch, and a suspension set up that would aid the contact patch, even with the power put down, the driver could have had more control of his vehicle.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Now that I come to think of it. I even remember a green S14 at CFRC, super slammed, cambered out, awesome fitment (some 18xrediculous Work wheels), looked sweet. Had a stock KA. The guy's initiation was so weird. He wouldn't clutch kick, e-brake or anything. He would turn in, understeer pretty hard, power over and it would start drifting when the rear tires were finally losing more grip than the front. He wasn't even coming in hard or fast. The car would just lose grip just because. Once it started drifting, the stock KA would power through the course like it had a mild SR spinning the shit out of wide ass 18s.

After seeing a car like that, it makes me think, "How safe can that be on a public road if it just loses grip so easily?" If someone cuts him off and the driver of that super sick car reacts abruptly to the situation, that car can just lose it.

Cars were not designed to operate with suspension settings like that. There are suspension mods/settings that are safe to have fun with and drive on the street. If they were designed to be that way for the road, they would come like that already. You have to be careful with the suspension mods you are putting on your car.

I might come off as an asshole talking shit about stanced out cars and whatever, but I thought that some of you guys should see the possibilities of running a set up like that. Sorry for trying to save your ass.

Here's some reading for you fan boys. I'd recommend not dailying cars like these, and just keep them as show cars. Even as track cars, if you dare. But try to keep yourselves and others safe.
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2612/pageid/4875/hella-fail.aspx

My WIFE has driven a stanced, cambered, slammed IS for the last three years with no issues, this thread is full of shit. OP, get your head out of your ass, you voting for romney too?

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Lol @ "can and will result in this bullshit" hahahahaha, what a moron, are you like 60?

Last edited:
i do agree slamming a car does make conditions worst. i can barely driving past 40 in the rain in my sc without hydroplaning. but this video is obvious that its due to the tires and weather condition and operator error. it goes with out saying that when you stance a car, you should automatically be more cautious with your driving

My WIFE has driven a stanced, cambered, slammed IS for the last three years with no issues, this thread is full of shit. OP, get your head out of your ass, you voting for romney too?

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Lol @ "can and will result in this bullshit" hahahahaha, what a moron, are you like 60?

Your wife must be doing it right, then. I'm not voting for anyone, since I believe both choices suck anyway, but let's not get political. My head is pretty far up my ass, but I like it. Keeps my hair how I like it.

Also, I'm 26. So yeah, pretty close to 60. Love you.

Its the trend noel, they wont understand, its a drift forum. Go on some roadracing forums im sure they would understand.

Its the trend noel, they wont understand, its a drift forum. Go on some roadracing forums im sure they would understand.

I agree. Let's even look at some of the Pro and Pro/am drift guys. They don't stance out their cars because they need grip. Mad Mike sucked in FD because his beautiful RX-8 just couldn't hang with the lack of grip it had for having "semi-stance." I just think sacrificing grip for a look is a bad way to go about it if you are putting that car on the street. You are heightening the risk of fucking up.

Don't get me wrong, some of these "stanced" cars are beautiful, but I'm good, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom