~400 hp sr20

i know its long and going battle of saying "search it" on forums to build one. but i dont wana hear that shit just let me know how you did it. i got a basic idea of what i want/need but i want to know peoples opinions of how it worked for them...

list :
what u did and why(did it work bad, good, would u change something?), ur #'s u made, how much$ for shits, how long it lasted, ect thanks :driving::bigthumbu

Last edited:
$ depends on if you go with name brand proven parts brand new parts used parts etc.

buy motor, put stronger studs, rods, pistons, greddy intake manifold, bigger injectors, exhaust manifold, bigger turbo, greddy oilpan, good fmic (spearco etc. not generic ebay crap), new oil pump, rocker arm stoppers, if youre gonna be reving hard/high do valvetrain work, cams, AEM standalone, upgraded radiator(not mishimoto ebay crap), downpipe exhaust and tune it.

you can get 300hp easily by just getting a safc, injectors, t28 bb, z32 mafs, exhaust/downpipe, fmic and tune it on 18-20psi. how long it lasts depends on how you maintain it, the condition of the motor before you put that stuff on, etc.
I've ran setups like this and they lasted me a long time, others have the same story, usually the most common problem is blowing piston rings or rod knock but in most cases i've seen its due to injector failure or coilpack and tuning issues.

look to spend around 7-8k for what youre looking for.

intake, exhaust, and run no vacuume line to the wastegate (20+psi)

dyno'd at 350whp been running for 3 years no problems

$ depends on if you go with name brand proven parts brand new parts used parts etc.

buy motor, put stronger studs, rods, pistons, greddy intake manifold, bigger injectors, exhaust manifold, bigger turbo, greddy oilpan, good fmic (spearco etc. not generic ebay crap), new oil pump, rocker arm stoppers, if youre gonna be reving hard/high do valvetrain work, cams, AEM standalone, upgraded radiator(not mishimoto ebay crap), downpipe exhaust and tune it.

you can get 300hp easily by just getting a safc, injectors, t28 bb, z32 mafs, exhaust/downpipe, fmic and tune it on 18-20psi. how long it lasts depends on how you maintain it, the condition of the motor before you put that stuff on, etc.
I've ran setups like this and they lasted me a long time, others have the same story, usually the most common problem is blowing piston rings or rod knock but in most cases i've seen its due to injector failure or coilpack and tuning issues.

look to spend around 7-8k for what youre looking for.

yeah i mean i know what i want. but im talking specifics. like have u used tomei, greddy ect. like the diffrences between injectors like five-0,hks,tomie. hg thickness... herd cometic hg suck?? verification? these are all things floating arround but i wana know FACTS. i got my block down bare bones and ready to go( for the most part). i just want to know exactly what people have had good experiances with and bad. i herd some people like oem bearings some people like the acl and there isnt much price diffrence ( like 20$?) also like the tomei arms turbo.. anyone had luck with that or would they stick to the garett 2871rs??? i know i want rocker arms stoppers, does it really make a diffrence if u run isiss or go the extra mile to buy the greddy ones for 200 more $... i wana keep a little mid range power so i want to run arroud a 264 cam or a pone cam... thoughts? these kind of things but i have:
big oil pan, pullies, oil cooler, and decent fmic, aem wide band+ true boost in car currently and runing on a stock sr but i have annother motor that i want to build in case anyone was wondering...
but i need to get things in stone so i can start buying the things so i can work my way up to the top.. thanks everyone for the input

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I got the perfect motor for you.

Jerry tip me later <3

http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78376

thanks man i have looked at it, but unfornatly for me i cannot just shit 9k out of my ass all at once ( although if i did have it up front it would be awsome to just get a finished product):bigthumbu

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

intake, exhaust, and run no vacuume line to the wastegate (20+psi)

dyno'd at 350whp been running for 3 years no problems

thants a little sketchy lol

Last edited:
Building a motor is all in the details. Make sure you triple check bearing clearances, ring clearances, strightness of main journals, etc. Also everything has to be spotless clean. If you build it yourself and don't do these things or take it to a shitty machine shop it doesn't matter if you have tomei rods or stock it still won't be reliable.

Building a motor is all in the details. Make sure you triple check bearing clearances, ring clearances, strightness of main journals, etc. Also everything has to be spotless clean. If you build it yourself and don't do these things or take it to a shitty machine shop it doesn't matter if you have tomei rods or stock it still won't be reliable.

exactly what i want to know, i wana go hg gasket thickness ect the details that gets me arround 400 hp ^ read previous post...

but some will be done in shop some out. i know what i can do and what i cant. most of the work will be in the shop so i can sleep at night when i spend this much $ on a 2 L lol.. but that leads to annother thing shops in sfl? im pretty new here anyone worth giving a shot?

Last edited:
Then i think the question becomes, how can you build a motor to make 400 peak hp with a broad powerband, with good response, and that can withstand drifting abuse.

gt2871r is a good turbo but i'd probably go with a t3 flanged .63 rear housing version.

Then i think the question becomes, how can you build a motor to make 400 peak hp with a broad powerband, with good response, and that can withstand drifting abuse.

gt2871r is a good turbo but i'd probably go with a t3 flanged .63 rear housing version.

i never said 400 hp the ~ is about. but yeah just options on the table if it pops up as 375 ill be happy enough, main concern is internals, i can always slap a bigger turbo on later down the road. but i agree a nice free flowing t3 flange turbo would be nice. i would love to buy gsracers set up... maybe i can work a deal out with him... if not ill be looking for parts... 750's, turbo, mani, ect ect

i am making 360 on a stock motor with a ebay turbo and 550 injectors on a rs enthalpy tune i do not trust emance for tuning
it is a inexpensive setup and i have ben driving it for over 25 thousand miles mostly highway due to home to work travel but i have absolutely no issues with it

Back
Top Bottom