Sucks for GTR Owners

i dont see why they give you the option to turn off the VDC if it voids the warranty and destroys the car oh and 20K for a tranny holy fuck

Damn if the transmission is a piece I'm a bit surprised considering the abuse previous GTR's could handle and the amount of power this thing makes stock. That threat feels like 2002 WRX threads I used to read when I owned one. Made me paranoid about ever shifting hard or launching hard. Shame.

0-60 in 3.4 sec with launch control + VDC off = Voided Warranty

0-60 in 4.1 sec with VDC on = False advertisement

Its not false advertisement or a voided warranty. There's only one person thus far experiencing this problem from Nissan and they're denying the replacing of his transmission only (not voiding a warranty) based on data accumulated from the black box. Seems like everyone else who's had transmission issues has had no problem getting them taken care of. I'm guessing there's more to this story but i'm also sure its not the last we'll hear of a scenario like this. Either way, its weak sauce that the Borg Warner can't take the heat and something should be done.

^exactly, who knows what kind of stupid antics the guy was doing when launching his car, what he says and what the BB proves are two different things. I am still rather dissapointed that the tranny is not up to par but I am sure with time Nissan or somebody will deal with beefing it up, besides if they expect the VSpec to sell then Nissan better deal with it. New Tech usually has bugs in it even with all the testing that goes on before hand. Not all drivers are the same as a Nissan factory driver or for that matter has unlimited resources to deal with it on a daily basis.

to me it would sound like the guy was showing off at every redlight. I think that he has his hand caught in the cookie jar via the BB.

Wasn't there a huge recall on 350z trannies b/c of a notchy shift feel or something? I'm hoping this gets "corrected" if there is indeed a problem.

LOL
gt-rmotivator.jpg

Turning off the VDC is not what causes your warranty to get voided, it's using the "Launch Control" feature that causes your warranty to get voided. Apparently it's stated in the owner's manual. Both parties are at fault but this is seriously stupid on Nissan's part. They include a feature into the vehicle that you can't use because it voids your warranty. Why the fuck have it in the first place. This, along with the other nonsense that's been reported about the GT-R, is why IMO R34 > R35.

AutoBlog covered this story as well:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/carsumer-advocacy-nissan-refuses-to-replace-gt-r-owners-busted/

Wow, but 20k for a transmission? For the price of the GTR I'd rather get a used Carrera GT which is 10x more baller:cool:
and like bladder said, R34/R33>R35

Both parties are at fault but this is seriously stupid on Nissan's part. They include a feature into the vehicle that you can't use because it voids your warranty. Why the fuck have it in the first place. This, along with the other nonsense that's been reported about the GT-R, is why IMO R34 > R35.

I dont agree. I mean one could easily make adjustments to lets say the turbo actuators to increase boost but if they blow the turbo/engine/etc is it the manufacturer's fault for not making them tamper proof? Maybe that's more of a stretch but with purpose built cars like these, often times manufacturers hide features like this. Like the Evo's that used to come w/ ALS features in the ECU. To me you have to be numb in the brain to think launches like that won't hurt the vehicle BUT I do think these transmissions are looking pretty weak - don't get me wrong. I think they should be able to take some good abuse. Which brings me back to my point about this topic poster - we really don't know what he did.

I dont agree. I mean one could easily make adjustments to lets say the turbo actuators to increase boost but if they blow the turbo/engine/etc is it the manufacturer's fault for not making them tamper proof? Maybe that's more of a stretch but with purpose built cars like these, often times manufacturers hide features like this. Like the Evo's that used to come w/ ALS features in the ECU. To me you have to be numb in the brain to think launches like that won't hurt the vehicle BUT I do think these transmissions are looking pretty weak - don't get me wrong. I think they should be able to take some good abuse. Which brings me back to my point about this topic poster - we really don't know what he did.

this is true, in the Original Forum, everyone was bashing him for not being honest in what he was actually doing with the car. He ended up Confessing that he used LC at least 20 times in 2 months but thats up to us to believe.

There was also another member on that thread that stated this:

XMMAN:
my friends Super Silver started acting up last night on the high way.. car has never been launched.. we floored it to pass some traffic and the car made a loud clunk and now only has 2/4/6 for gears.. car will rev up fine as soon as you start it, but 30 seconds later the transmission light will start to flash and the car goes into limp mode.. i believe the accessport was showing a code p2417 which had no definition.. it showed up in both the transmission and ECM. r mode was on for suspension and transmission, but vdc was normal.. anyone have any insight?

^^^^His Warranty Did it's job, but like Tonymac said, these transmissions are looking very doubtful:ugh:

I dont agree. I mean one could easily make adjustments to lets say the turbo actuators to increase boost but if they blow the turbo/engine/etc is it the manufacturer's fault for not making them tamper proof? Maybe that's more of a stretch but with purpose built cars like these, often times manufacturers hide features like this. Like the Evo's that used to come w/ ALS features in the ECU.

That's not the case here. This doesn't require any sort of modification from the owner in order to access the "Launch Control" feature. Or is it hidden to the extent of the ALS features in the EVO's ECU. This is something that can be accessed by anyone with the simple push of a couple of buttons. Look, just watch the following video and I'll show you how you can access it:

YouTube - Nissan 日産 GT-R vs Porsche 911 GT3 vs BMW M3 - Part 2/2

Nissan should simply remove this if it's causing owners to void their vehicle's warranties.

To me you have to be dumb in the brain to think launches like that won't hurt the vehicle

Indeed.

Ive seen what you have to do - its a series of button presses and holding down a pedal and blah blah - its not exactly flipping a switch. I totally see the pt you're making but its not in the manual and it is obviously abusive. i think the root problem is the seemingly weak transmission.

Back
Top Bottom