Steering angle / toe out?

I searched and couldent find an answer to what im trying to figure out. I see Choku_Dorian with Tein tie rods and SPL spacers to get increased turn angles. Now figure im an old hack at cars, new to the drift scene, im trying to figure this out. My question now is, doesn't extending and spacing out the tie rods just give you an extreme toe out situation when tracking straight down the road? I mean the rack is only going to move "X" amount of MM from center to full lock no matter how long your tie rods are, if you went and extended your tie rods 1/2" you would have to adjust 1/2 in to get a "0" toe situation thus giving you stock turn angle correct? What I can be 100% missing is if for drifting you want a toe out situation to start with? can anyone enlighten me on this?

I put spacers in my steering and it got towed out quite a bit, but then you dial them back in with an alighnment. And if its still towed out then, you cut some of the tie rod so you can dial it in more.

slidewayz240sx said:
I think hes asking...if you dial it in to 0 toe...doesnt that just cut back the angle to stock again?

No, it does not. Putting spacers will give you more angle, then align it and youll have wheels at 0 and more angle.

FlyinFINN said:
I put spacers in my steering and it got towed out quite a bit, but then you dial them back in with an alighnment. And if its still towed out then, you cut some of the tie rod so you can dial it in more.

you cannot just put any spacers on any inner tie rods. the spacer for tein inner tie rods are small enough in that they allow the part that screws into the rack to go farther into the rack. silkywilson240 is absolutely correct if the spacer was not small enough to go inside the steering rack

slide-ways-for-five-days said:
no because the spacers are to let the ends of the rack move that little bit more before stopping on the inner tie rod.

+111111
just remember the spacers have to be certain size... if too big they will not let the inner rod screw in to manufacturer's specs... run the risk of falling off...

Ok that explains it, the spacers fit inside of the rack allowing more travel this is where I was confused.. I was thinking just adding length to tie rods = toe out when centered back to 0 toe = no more angle.. but yes this actually gives more travel out of the rack and makes sense.. thanks guys

POLE-POSITION said:
you cannot just put any spacers on any inner tie rods. the spacer for tein inner tie rods are small enough in that they allow the part that screws into the rack to go farther into the rack. silkywilson240 is absolutely correct if the spacer was not small enough to go inside the steering rack

On my car, I did what I said above. I was giving input on the topic.

Oh I Get Wat Ur Sayin.....if Dats The Xase How Much More Angle Does It Actually Give U? Cuz Im Tryin To Get New Tie Rods Aswell So While Im Add I Might Aswell Put Some Good Spacers!!

Back
Top Bottom