SR20DET engine install

NewbDrifter

how long should it take? and should i do this? all the experiance i have is changing oil and shit like that. But i remember a kid said just get in there and do it and youll learn but im thinkin i may want to start on something smaller....so my question is how long will this take with a experienced tech? the engine is already removed along with tranny

how long should it take? and should i do this? all the experiance i have is changing oil and shit like that. But i remember a kid said just get in there and do it and youll learn but im thinkin i may want to start on something smaller....so my question is how long will this take with a experienced tech? the engine is already removed along with tranny

well judging by what u say u have as experience i would say no

but

if you want to i would say, start off by making sure u have all the correct tools, and do your research.

everyone starts somewhere. the sr20det is a real basic swap. its like pulling the ka(stock motor) out and putting it right back in. the hardest part would be wiring but theres companies that will do it for ya, or theres write ups if u wanna tackle it yourself. it would be great if you had someone with experience with the swap so they could give u a hand with the swap

heres some info-
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=395060

but please use google, every question you could ask about this swap, and how to's has been answered numerous times!!!

google is ur best bet!

Just dive in and do it, then have someone else do the wiring for you. Done.
+1 !! definitly spend the money wisely finding who can do the wiring, try to go with a big company or someone with a really good reputations.. installing is piece of cake... just need the engine lifter and remember to change the seals and check for everything to be thight (including turbine housing.!):mad:

+1 !! definitly spend the money wisely finding who can do the wiring, try to go with a big company or someone with a really good reputations.. installing is piece of cake... just need the engine lifter and remember to change the seals and check for everything to be thight (including turbine housing.!):mad:

lol....sorry dude

^ yeah well we all gotta learn from mistakes that happen right :rolleyes: . hopefully this kid will have zero problems and a happy sr on his hands :)!

If you know what your doing its cake if you don't feel comfortable doing the swap give us call we give fellow sfldrifters members a discount 305.263.6565 Abe.

Hey guys, i also have a question about this. I should research and I have been i just wanna know from someone who's already done it. I've put an LS1 in an 82 camaro so i'm no stranger to motor swaps but a few questions:

does everything line up?

same motor mounts?

can use the same cabling and everything for clutch and what not?

anything needs to be cut or fit or something?

Any input would be appreciated, sorry if it's already been beaten to death.

Thanks
-Mark

Hey guys, i also have a question about this. I should research and I have been i just wanna know from someone who's already done it. I've put an LS1 in an 82 camaro so i'm no stranger to motor swaps but a few questions:

does everything line up?

same motor mounts?

can use the same cabling and everything for clutch and what not?

Thanks
-Mark
does everything line up? yes

same motor mounts? yes

can use the same cabling and everything for clutch and what not? 99% sure

nope

if you need anything lmk i car rent my lift if needed

Thanks bud, thankfully i have a lift. I'll be leaving my house within the next 2 months so if i were to pick up a car and do the swap it would have to be like ASAP. How much is an SR20 drivetrain going for?

Thanks for the advice!

the way ive always done it is pull the motor one afternoon 2-3 hours and put the sr in the next day also 2-3 hours

and you should do it yourself to gain the experience but it would be good to have someone there that knows what they are doing to help and guide you along

i think the only thing you might need to adjust is the throtle cable with a couple of spacers and that is it!. wiring is the hardest and more bitching part...dropping the engine is a breeze. Also dont forget , since i can enphize too much! check your seals!, clean the engine, change the oil, check the clutch (change it if possible), check the motormounts(most people would preffer nismo motormounts) because will be a pain in the ass to change them once on the car lol

i've done two myself , one with help took like 3 days one by myself took like 8 hours start to finish haha, i've done like 3/4 ka's and they're about the same , thewiring is a breeze once you know what to do. i live in naples btw.

Back
Top Bottom