s13 wont start...

hendershot

Spectator
Alright guys, I'm about to push it off a dock so I don't have to deal with it any more, here's my problem:

92 s13 coupe with a s13 blacktop sr20det

had it for over a year

first non-starting issue i had was when i first got it but that was just the ignition switch

as of recently my starter acted like it was done for so i took it out and had it rebuilt, in the meantime i borrowed my buddies starter from his s14 sr-powered as well. that was always kinda finicky at times but for the mostpart i got it to work.

about 2-3 weeks ago his starter wouldnt work at all and i got my starter back from being fully rebuilt and i dropped it in...annnnddd nothing.

I've done everything; tried his starter, my starter, swapped out solenoids on both and tried them again, cleaned up battery connections, redone multiple wires and junctions that were toast when discovered, run different grounds, got a new starter/ignition inhibitor relay(i forget which one its called) and still nothing.
As of today i got it to turn over and fire up immediately twice.
the first time the battery was sitting outside the car and we just hooked up the new ground right to the starter mounting bolt and the car started right up. turned it off, tried again, nope...then later after more troubleshooting and lots of frustration, my dad just grabbed the negative wire to the battery and wiggled it around then i turned the key and it started right up again.

but theres no corrosion anymore, ive cleaned everything up, getting 12v everywhere. starter will spin when hooked up to the battery with cables...just wont engage then spin

HELP ME!!! :chair: :chair: :chair:

Bad ground cable?

brand new cable. the battery was relocated to the trunk already when i bought the car so i cleaned up the connections on the original ground and still nothing so today we got new cable and set the battery behind the passenger seat and ran the new cable to the starter mounting bolt on the tranny

---------- Post added 12-17-2012 at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-16-2012 at 06:48 PM ----------

any ideas guys? :ugh:

Buy a new starter, use it on the car to have a basis of comparison rather than a finicky old starter, and a questionable rebuilt starter. (Not to discredit whoever did the job, but shit happens)

If the new starter works without a problem, either keep it, or return the new one and have the rebuilt one dealt with by whoever built it.

Do you have the clutch switch bypassed? Or is it still original?? Maybe the switch needs replacement, a new pedal stop, (the rubber grommet that always falls off) or the bypass needs attention (like a faulty connection, if the switch is bypassed.) If its an auto, then I check the neutral/safety switch as well.

My $0.02.

Last edited:
so, whatever the issue is seems to be igntion related. dont have time to play battleship with every wire in this car so we made a push button start and that worked great from the beginning. sometimes the key would work but the push button was a immediate start up every time, until recently. now im sitting there holding the button for nearly half a minute and i can hear the gear spinning inside the starter but its not poking out and engaging until it just feels like it randomly.

haven't had time to check the tips suggested above yet cuz im broke so i cant buy a new starter and the new semester just started up and i gotta do my best to stay ahead on schoolwork...sucks lol

S13 HAVE TWO STARTER WIRES...
U NEED TO CHECK THE INHIBITOR RELAY..ITS BLUE RIGHT INSINDE FRONT OF ENGINE BAY WHERE BATTERY GOES...
IF UR CLUTCH IS BYPASSED THEN ONLY CUT THE HEAVIER GAUGE WIRES..
AND CRIMP TOGETHER..
IF IT ISNT THEN CUT SMALL WIRES AND CRIMP TOGETHER

S13 HAVE TWO STARTER WIRES...
U NEED TO CHECK THE INHIBITOR RELAY..ITS BLUE RIGHT INSINDE FRONT OF ENGINE BAY WHERE BATTERY GOES...
IF UR CLUTCH IS BYPASSED THEN ONLY CUT THE HEAVIER GAUGE WIRES..
AND CRIMP TOGETHER..
IF IT ISNT THEN CUT SMALL WIRES AND CRIMP TOGETHER

the cars no longer mine and looking for those^ 2 wires would have been a nightmare with the harness that was in there. thanks though

Back
Top Bottom