Rx7 or S-chassi

So i have been driving an s chassi from the get go ... i have never driven an rx7 so i dont know wat the differences are between both chassis... i would like to here from rx7 owners and well people that have driven both but i mean aggressive driving ... i do know some of the down falls of owning an rx7 but i can also see some good things ... like simple motor high revs ... but from then on nothing ... any information to help me decide to stay with an s chassi or maybe get into an rx7 project would help .. and im talking about s-13 compared to a 2 gen.

Well. rx7 motors are not simple not alot of people know how to tune them the rite way. there are those like jeremy that do and know how to tear it up the rite way. as well all know a big down fall for the rx7 is the seals. and wat not bt i personally like them.
S-chassis. = easier to find parts... a ka can be found within hours and swapped within hours.

rx7 are simple...you just gotta know what your doing...just cus its different than a piston motor doesnt mean its harder..learn them the same way you learned a piston motor ( if you know that is)...

there are videos that teach you how to build it...its gonna be pretty easy if they can make videos to teach you how to build them...

anyways there are pros and cons to both...so just listne to what people have to say about both chassis and make your mind up.

i know there simple motors to take apart and rebuild because i know many people that deal with pistons and rotors ... im pretty good at learning new things and im up to learn to motor part.. but im also looking for cost effectiveness .. im looking to build a car to drift at hopefully soon a competitive level .. i want to be able to spend money and get more for it ... if i go 2 gen i would do a cosmo 13b from wat i know a tad bit cheaper than an sr for instance and i think both should move about the same .. but now comes in how does the car react to being sydways?

that i cant tell you becuase i have only slide a few and only one being turbo it was for a short period of time....but if you look hard enough man...rx7 motors go for like 750 on the web...

but here is the thing...if you know what your doing that is whats gonna keep your cost down...

yeah i get u ... dam know of and clean shells for sale lol .. i want to try a different car other than my fastback ... dont get me wrong there fun cars and i like the feel of them but its fun and can make u a better driver when u learn different chassis and different dynamics of different cars ... only other car i have truly sliden is a 350z and i just now drove the hr.... its the modern 240 just hella faster ... but way out of my price range thats y im thinking rx7 ... dammit where the rx7 drivers out here ... i would like to here wat jeremy has to say

i havent seen him post much cus he isnt a regular...there is a clean as hell shell on the forsale section dude@!! like immaculate!

FC's chassis are definitely more solid than s-chassis's. Mazda designed that car to compete w/ the 944 so you also find trick parts (for the time anyway) from the factory like aluminum knuckles and 4 piston aluminum brakes. Sure you can get z brakes and knuckles for an s-chassis but an FC just feels more "put together" in relatively stock form where-as the s-chassis seems more like an afterthought. And with parts being borrowed from many other cars, it makes sense. This is not to descredit the s-chassis as it does have a superior suspension design. You'll definitely have an easier time standing out from the crowd in an FC and subjective as it is, I think they look better. It can be hard to find good/working interior parts from junk yards at times though. I know i helped a buddy build his fc years ago and parts were hard to find then anway. As for the motors...well there are 100billion rotary threads out there on the internet so read up and learn.

FC parts are hard to come by. Like Tony Mac said the interior is fragile. Interior part are hard to find. Suspension and stuff will also be a bit harder to come across. But It is more solid of a Chassis. Motor wise they have there quirks. I loved mine. Just treat them right and maintain it and your golden. Worse case drop a LSx or SR20!

im not to worried about interior parts because my hopes of this car would be strickly track ... but yeah i know some 7 owners that love there car and it returns the love ...

Rx7 motors are simple, just not many people deal with them so your moslty on your own. They also don't like the driftage and I don't know why.... really idk why but somereason they always break on people. Road racing yes, drifting no. The simple choice is stay with the 240.

see thats wat i wanted to know .. cuz i have herd of rotaries not being able to hold the abuse of drifting for some reason ... and not being reliable .. im not afraid of learning something new with those cars ... i just want something that after an event i wont have to worry if i can get home ... i know i rag on my 240 and the only thing that will prevent me from getting home is that i drifted all my tires ...

i had a ka with 170k on it and i would drift all the time and i never had a single problem with it

i drove an rx7 for about 3 miles and when i turned it off i couldn't get it to start again..some flooding bs

i love my 7 .............. and i hate it.......... if i had to pick between the 2 i would still drive my 7 any day. but i hope you got some money saved haha. either way building a 7 or a 240 is going to cost alot. one good thing about 7s is the drivetrain is beefy as hell! and its got good brakes stock.the bad thing is its hard to find parts and you might have to fab some stuff up. drifting : 240s are a cake walk. 7 s on the other hand feel completley different . they have ALOT more grip and feel more rigid to me. and they lack angle. heres my 7 with stock angle........
IMG_1454.jpg

and heres my car with the spindle mod done which requires someone who can weld very good.
IMG_8270.jpg

theres 3 things you need to do to drift a 7 "good"
1: dtss eliminators ( near toe steering )
2:coilovers
3: some type of angle mod. either tie rod spacers or the extreme way with the spindle mod.

hope this helps

S chassis if you're cheap
Rx7 if you can afford to do it right
:p

My old 7:
l_c8c64a9feaf73134617614d3d77777eb.jpg

My older 7:
l_c507b05ffee373a364213a117db03734.jpg

I couldnt afford them, so now im playing the s chassis game
l_238b883c89468fdbfaa8b1bf50839e84.jpg

Last edited:
yeah that helps alot ... im still thinking about the 7 route because honestly i have never driven one and i just might fall in love with it who knows ... with the s chassi to me its just that something is missing to and i cant put my finger on it ... i still love my car and as for ragging on a ka yea u can but once u start reaching the 300 hp range on them u got to baby them just as much as an rx7 ... im gonna talk to a couple friends see if i can get into one and just test it out ... i dont know wat but im starting to lean towards the 7 because of wat i might find driving that chassis ... a little more grip to me is wat i just might be looking for even doh to some people it might sound dumb ...

Just goto events and find yourself one of those NBDT boys, maybe they'll give you a ride. Personally, I loved my rx7, and miss it to death :(

well people will tell many things, i've rx7 for 4 years. i'm loving it. once you start drving this car it's like an addiction lol. they are very expensive on parts. but there are many loop holes around theses things.do u'r research on the engine and car trust me you will like it. i never had a 240 but i driven couple of them sr,rb, ka. they are very nice cars. after i drive that once i get in my car i still like the way rotary engines are. sometimes you would hate it because of the expense, but once you pass that its no problem.
sfldbbq113.jpg

well i don't have her no longer she was totaled.
sfldbbq087.jpg

Last edited:
ok...i drive an s14...my dad on the other hand has gone through about 4-5 rx-7s....2nd gens are heavy.....like most say its not as easy to drift as 240's are but they are very rev happy. for daily driving rx7's are not the best from what ive been told. as a full track car you should be fine just be willing to spend some serious money because parts arent as easy to find as the s-chassis. difficulty on the other hand u have to know your stuff. read researchand learn just like any other car. but tuning wise alex lopez tunes them and very good i might add!! worked a couple miracles on my dads 7!! i like both cars i was raised in one and grew up in the era of another its all about preference and what you like and what you want to do. hope this helps man
GL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom