Replacing side mirror glass on the S13

KRM

Last week, the glass from the passenger side mirror fell of my S13. No biggie, it had a good 18 year run, so if the glue that held it on wants to call it quits now, i can't really say much. I ordered a new one from Courtesy Nissan, which came in Thursday. Aside from now having that jackass "Object in mirror" blah blah blah... crap written on it, it looks pretty much identical to the piece that fell off.

My question is, how the hell do you snap the new piece on without breaking it?

The back of the replacement piece has five push on snap clasps and of course i want all five to snap in correctly, otherwise it could fall of again. This requires putting pressure on the glass in front of all five snaps. I suppose if you were to apply gradually increasing, but exactly equal, pressure across the entire surface area it would just snap in. This is much easier said than done however.

I've already broken one $30+ replacement glass, so i'm looking for advice on how to deal with the next one.

I do plan on having someone hold the mirror adjustment knob on the inside of the car, in a stable position next time. That should help to some degree, but if anyone out there has any other ideas or tricks, i'm wide open to suggestions.

Thanks,
KRM

i went thru three already i think it would be easy to remove the glass out of the holder place that into the sidemirror then use some mirror glue or a really strong adhesive and stick that onto the plastic piece cuz if you try to press it in, it will break, it will break

As long as i can get the glass OUT of the plastic frame without breaking it, that's a DAMN GOOD IDEA.

Simple too, Thanks.

That's actually how my original glass fell out. the plastic frame didn't come unsnapped, the sticky putty stuff that holds the glass to the frame became weak and the glass fell off. I can epoxy that mofo on, just gotta make sure whatever adhesive i use will not eat through the reflective backing.

KRM

same shit happened to me lol funny shit, i was sitting at a red light and from the corner of my eye i just saw sumthing shiny and iheared it smash into peices on the floor lol couldnt stop laughing kinda random for that to happen.

noLSDneeded said:
same shit happened to me lol funny shit, i was sitting at a red light and from the corner of my eye i just saw sumthing shiny and iheared it smash into peices on the floor lol couldnt stop laughing kinda random for that to happen.

Mine (passenger side) fell off when i shut the driver's side door when getting in to go to work in the morning. Shitty way to start the day. :mad:

KRM

hahaha not a nice way to start ur day at all lol... it takes a while of driving to get used to also lol. it's confusing at first cuz u look at it when u wanna change lanes but u forget that it fell lol, but u get used to it after a while

LMAFO same thing happend on my 1st forty shut driver door and the pass on fell right out, i just went to the junk yard and poped one off leaving the plastic and all on it and switched it.

Back
Top Bottom