RB20 swap??

Devil Man

Spectator
Im starting to wonder if i should have gone RB20 swap. i want to know has anyone done this swap, what is involved and how hard is it to do? im thinking about stoping the re build on the ka and maybe checking this route out... anyways let me know what you guys KNOW about doing this swap, cause im really thinking about it.

one more thing. i will be keeping the RB pretty much stock. it makes good power. and its going to be reliable..... well maybe front mount but thats it!

oh and i dont care about any other motor other than this!!!!

The first thing you need with an rb swap is money!!!! I've spent 1800 so far ( including motor) and have another 700 for other things needed This asshole will suck you dry! I'm doing an rb20det swap now. It's pretty easy. You will need...
-rb20det/5spd make sure it includes maf/ignitor/ecu/ and a complete uncut harness
-r32 crossmember/trans member or automatic transmember
-dual fan setup
-custom downpipe as the stock dp will rub the steering shaft locking your steering
-custom throttle bracket

I would suggest changing the...
-water pump
-timing belt and tensioner pulley ( don't cheap out on this it will fuck you )
-thermostat
-all new hoses, heater/turbo coolant lines
-front mount intercooler
-mishimoto/koyo/griffen radiator
Some of these motors have some mileage on them so make sure you do routine maintenence.

More info here http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/135400

before i put my motor in i did all that ^^ and got the whole OEM gasket kit. changed and changed the oil pump.

don't know about rd_reds13 but i have spent alot of money. but i'm happy with it right now.

I will tell you this. its easy to find rb parts but it's not easy to get them at a good price.

i saw that link already and thats what has got me thinking about it again.. that stuff that you have said is not that bad i can do that np. right now im in the process of taking my motor apart and replacing all the gaskets and whatnot. but the downpipe will need to be custom huh. and as for the stock turbos are they good or not i dont get it?? im talking about the ceramic wheels.

not reading anything...but its a waste a time....reason why people take em out and replace em with sr's

^^^^Why even post, there's always an rb hater somewhere, you will pop an sr just like an rb20. Thay all have their problems. I rather have the rb20det...they just run hot!!! The stock turbo is a pos. People blow them very easily, the turbos will treat you well on stock boost. Madcow you have the rb25det right? Where did you get your driveshaft?

im not hating on rb's, i like pauls rb....just not 20's.....cuz well...theyre seriously junk and a waste of aot of time...unles ur using it mock up mounts and putting a 25 in your car...which sux too but im not getting into that....26 or death

nevermind the support difference.....and sacrifice EVERYTHinG just to be different......nto worth it....at all.....they do sound nice but that is all

m4nfred said:
not reading anything...but its a waste a time....reason why people take em out and replace em with sr's

actually they replace them with ca's. ohhhhhh

just messing with u manny.

with an rb20 the stock drive shaft will work!!!!!!!!!!!
Not with the rb25det.

im not hating on rb's, i like pauls rb....just not 20's.....cuz well...theyre seriously junk and a waste of aot of time...unles ur using it mock up mounts and putting a 25 in your car...which sux too but im not getting into that....26 or death
Screw the 26, too much modifying for nothing...ls1 or death...lol :bigthumbu

id go with the rb20, and later on u can get a rb25 tranny and one piece driveshaft.

also bore it out to 2.2l and rev that shit till the tacho loops around.

rb_reds13 said:
Not with the rb25det.

Screw the 26, too much modifying for nothing...ls1 or death...lol :bigthumbu

first i said the rb20 will fit with the stock driveshaft!! so what are y trying to correct??

second your a pretty brave kid for only having an rb20! to say screw a 26!!! and there is really no modification at all! its all about mount kits!!!!!! no know your info before u type!!!!!! just my .02

rb_reds13 said:
Madcow you have the rb25det right? Where did you get your driveshaft?

like i said i got a tophat mount kit they have the drive shaft also. tophatperformance.com

Nunook said:
id go with the rb20, and later on u can get a rb25 tranny and one piece driveshaft.

also bore it out to 2.2l and rev that shit till the tacho loops around.

^^ That's not really a smart idea 25's aren't that expensive. but the trannys by them self are rb26 people love them and will pay a lot for them. then to pay that money to bore it out is just a dumb because you can buy a rb25.

there are the 2 reasons why i want the rb20 the drive shaft is the same as the stock s13, and that little fucker can rev out! thanks for the imput keep them coming!!! cause im really thinking this motor. maybe i can get a better turbo for it if you say that the stock turbo is poop.

the only thing about the turbo is the ceramic fins 12-15lbs tops.

Devil Man said:
but the downpipe will need to be custom huh.

well you can do what i did and buy the AMperformance downpipe. they have 2 the screamer and the stock one. the screamer is open dump.

andedump.jpg

see this is the problem im having with turbos... i dont know the terminalogy... open dump??? and all that other stuf i just dont get it, i get the downpipe. but waste gates, recirulated, that kinda stuff.

oh and so 12lbs is more than enough for me i dont care for big numbers. maybe down the road i might want something with a little more but for now i will be happy with pretty much stock numbers.

Where did you get your driveshaft?
"for the rb25det"
with an rb20 the stock drive shaft will work!!!!!!!!!!!
Misunderstood ya, my apologies... :ghey: I'm not bashing the rb26dett, I just rather drop an ls1 for the same price...and a little more effort.
About the downpipe: I was going to cut the dp before the steering shaft and have a muffler shop weld a downpipe from there. I can't find a link for amperformance. How much is that dp?
Rb20det's run very hot, I'm trying to spend money wisely on cooling. (dual fan setup, aluminum radiator, ducting below and above radiator)You should consider this when attempting the swap, we are in south florida...

yeah i am planning on getting a new alumminum rad, and duel electric fans too. no worries there. why do they run hot any sort of reason or thats just what it is?

oh and do i need to get a rad like for an sr or ka?

Back
Top Bottom