question about my welded diff...

boj240

how do u know if ur welded diff is broken? because when i turn right it chirps really loud and it used to do it both sides now its hardly chirps when i turn left and i haven't been able to break loose when i clutch kick it.. can my diff be going bad or wat? just wanna know wat it can be..

a welded diff cant be 'going bad' it is either welded, or broke.

and it may not chirp as much going one way b/c of treadwear or other reasons...

do a burnout and see if both tires spin. look at the rubber marks on the ground, if there is 1 rubber mark, then it is broken, if there are 2, then you are ready to go drift, if there are 3 rubber marks, come and tell me b/c that would be cool.

well...... my first welded diff it broke. the spider gears were only spot welded in four spots. I broke the welds just by normal driving. every time you accelerated or deccelerated you would hear a very loud "clacking" sound. that was from the gear backlash. then one night i took my car out to my spot and after the clacking got very ezzsive. i stoped at the light to leave, i went to go foward and my car didnt move, it stalled out. started it up again put in revese move back a little and then moved foward and drove to my friends house. we jacked up the car and spun the wheel. my right wheel would turn 1/2 full rotation until the welds on the spiders gear caught one of the other welds on the gear and lock together. it was pretty bad. so yes u can beak a welded, but mine wasn't welded correctly. even though it broke the welds it still locked up just fine but very noisy.

drftns14 said:
well...... my first welded diff it broke. the spider gears were only spot welded in four spots. I broke the welds just by normal driving. every time you accelerated or deccelerated you would hear a very loud "clacking" sound. that was from the gear backlash. then one night i took my car out to my spot and after the clacking got very ezzsive. i stoped at the light to leave, i went to go foward and my car didnt move, it stalled out. started it up again put in revese move back a little and then moved foward and drove to my friends house. we jacked up the car and spun the wheel. my right wheel would turn 1/2 full rotation until the welds on the spiders gear caught one of the other welds on the gear and lock together. it was pretty bad. so yes u can beak a welded, but mine wasn't welded correctly. even though it broke the welds it still locked up just fine but very noisy.

use nickel rod, alot of it, it wont breaks... sucks about your misahp...

boj240 said:
ty sir lol when ur ass coming back out here wanna slide with ya ninjas already damyummm

whos this? Rem>?? if it is, then you need to ask about fixin your clutch, not your dame 'ol diff!
silly ass NiNjA.

edit: o wait, Rem was open Diff.

Domel! lol

hah 2 new years eves ago a buddy of mine had a welded diff and it broke at about 55mph 5am and foggy as hell..locked up completly car wouldnt move at all i had to go drag his car off the interstate and somehow while i was pulling it.. he got stuck under the car and got drug about 10 feet before i heard him yelling .. fucked himself pretty bad.. aparently he was trying to help push the car while my van was spinning tire then it started to move so he tried to jump in and i caught traction and launched forward! with him under the side of the car

yea my welded diff just went booooom, its no good ,lol, sounds so bad when i put in gear lol

^ i remember that new years where do ya live? in coral springs creek and boca at that late night u couldnt see shit past 2 feet!lol oh ya.... i now have a correctly welded diff in my car. no problems yet and ive been punishing it!!!

Choku_Dorian said:
use nickel rod, alot of it, it wont breaks...

Domel! lol

Cast iron is different from cast steel. Cast steel is weldable under normal circumstances. Cast iron is a bitch because I have to use nickel rod, pre heat, weld, and keep the piece hot over about 5 hours before it cools to ambient temp.

The gears are hardned, so the use of a rod with a higher tensile strength is preferred (7018) i weld the gears to the carrier as well, a little over kill but i feel confident that they wont break.

to the thread starter. switch your tires they are probably bald. On the other hand if you hear extra abnormal drive train noise when you shift gears or releasing the clutch in first the welds could have broken and the gears are binding.

Back
Top Bottom