Question About LSD From A J30 Need Help

got240?

hey all i would like to change my welded diff out mits driveing me crazy. i like the fact of having both wheels spinning but it sucks when turning. i heard the J30 are like lsd they lock under pressure and unluck when turning this is what i want.

my question is whats all needed for me to do this swap im not sure what all i will need. i do have the J30 hubs installed on my car now if that helps any. but can someone help me out alittle here and put me on the right track to get a j30 diff into my car.

im looking for the cheapest and easyest way to do this.

thanks all.

Last edited:
there are 2 different j30 diffs, one has 5bolt flanges and one has 6 bolt flanges. the cheapest one is if you get the 6bolt flanges cuz then you just do a direct swap with your welded diff, just change the back covers.

if you cant find the 6bolt one, you need to get the axles from the 5bolt j30 to go with the 5bolt flanges and then just change the back cover on the differential and change out your axles with the j30 ones.

shouldnt cost more than 150$ to do either one.

il get u one and install it for 200

u will get the lsd from a j30 and install it this lsd will lock when i take off and it will unlock when i turn right. thats the diff. im looking for i want it to be like my welded diff on take off and unlock when i turn. are the j30 really good for locking and unlocking i dont want a 1 wheel wonder.

and ill give ya 175.00 to do it?

How about a j30 for autocrossing ? Welded would not be good doing that.
The reason why I brought this up, Is because I know people that autox their 240s....

i dont really drift alot i more on a show kinda person. but i like to play around some too. im not worried about drifting so much i just dont like the rattle trap that the welded diff turns the car into. you all saying that the j30 sucks cause u cant drift. what about a daily driven car that just uses it for back and forth to work. when i take off at the light i want both tires to turn. when i take a turn i want a one wheel wonder. will the j30 do this?

i dont really drift alot i more on a show kinda person. but i like to play around some too. im not worried about drifting so much i just dont like the rattle trap that the welded diff turns the car into. you all saying that the j30 sucks cause u cant drift. what about a daily driven car that just uses it for back and forth to work. when i take off at the light i want both tires to turn. when i take a turn i want a one wheel wonder. will the j30 do this?

i daily my shit with a welded its not bad but if thats what you want then get a j30 the lower the miles the better.

lol my j30 diff works great i got it off a '97. im pretty sure '95 and up are six bolt. if the one you get has 6 bolt axles with an s13 all you have to do is change the diff cover to your stock one

btw it only cost me $60 at lkq in bradenton

Last edited:
What u mean when it over heats it doesnt work well i like to goto moroso once an a while like once or twice a year. Just for shits and gilles will this work like my welded diff at the track? Like said this is a daily car i rarely do anything in it but the times i do mess around i want the diff to hold up to me messing around. This will do that or no?

Thanks for all thw help guys. I use the car mainly to get to work and the welded diff is just to much for me in the am when driveing to work. Im half asleep and i can stand driveing it at that point in time. My girl doesnt like it at all. She doesnt like driveing in the car is juat a rattle trap. I dont like this when im driven.

Again i mess around once in a blue moon and i want the j30 to hold up when i do mess around will this do what im looking for?

research vlsd and lsd in general. then you will understand that vlsd does not lock by torque application, only clutch types have that characteristic. its not great for drifting but its better than open. you can still get a little bit of a one wheel wonder at times, its like halfway between a real lsd and and open. though you should be happier in the vlsd than you are in the welded for your intents and purposes.

so to answer your question i believe that, yes this is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
What u mean when it over heats it doesnt work well i like to goto moroso once an a while like once or twice a year. Just for shits and gilles will this work like my welded diff at the track? Like said this is a daily car i rarely do anything in it but the times i do mess around i want the diff to hold up to me messing around. This will do that or no?

Thanks for all thw help guys. I use the car mainly to get to work and the welded diff is just to much for me in the am when driveing to work. Im half asleep and i can stand driveing it at that point in time. My girl doesnt like it at all. She doesnt like driveing in the car is juat a rattle trap. I dont like this when im driven.

Again i mess around once in a blue moon and i want the j30 to hold up when i do mess around will this do what im looking for?

yea you are fine with a j30. vlsd > welded alldayerrday!

Back
Top Bottom