Problems...

Kasperjd4

Driver
Hey everyone,

I am really new to this, and have no idea how to do any of this forum stuff but I guess I'll make my first post.

I am having problems connecting drifts. I practice on two consecutive S curves and can perfectly get the first slide but I cannot connect to the second corner? Either I spin out or my car just straightens out. To start the first corner I am using a Feint drift. I have done it a couple times but I cannot figure out how to do this? I drive a 240sx if that helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try? Maybe how to initiate it differently?

Also, what is the difference in drifting a road course (such as flat pavement like a parking lot) and an oval track like OSW or the one Drift Fury will be at? I have never drifted an oval track. What should I be watching out for?

Thank you for all the help!

Sincerely,
Justin

it sounds like you should be watching out for walls. and you should find an experienced person to ride with you so you can make the best of your track time.

"dont push it near the walls and you will be fine."
-e30 gangsta ~2004

Do not try to connect that S curve just yet. Get comfortable with sliding one corner at a time. Dont get caught by police and be smart about it. You have to walk before you run, if you cant walk you are going to fall on your face while running. Watch drift bible and master the simple shit first, all that beginner stuff you should be able to do with your eyes closed before you "drift".

more details please, what kind of 240, how fast are you going, how big are these two turns?

first thing i can think of right off the bat, you need to prepare yourself for the second turn while you are in the middle of the first turn. If you slide the first turn and then all of a sudden here comes the 2nd and you arent prepared, then its easy to mess up.

keep practicing man. the good thing is you said you have experienced both spinning out AND straightening out, which means you are trying different things... you just have to find a happy median and you should get it eventually.

im no pro but thats the best advice i have got. lol
good luck.

drift a 944 said:
more details please, what kind of 240, how fast are you going, how big are these two turns?

first thing i can think of right off the bat, you need to prepare yourself for the second turn while you are in the middle of the first turn. If you slide the first turn and then all of a sudden here comes the 2nd and you arent prepared, then its easy to mess up.

keep practicing man. the good thing is you said you have experienced both spinning out AND straightening out, which means you are trying different things... you just have to find a happy median and you should get it eventually.

good luck.

it is so hard to give someone advice over the internet of how to drift. Now if it were two colleagues who are on similarly advanced drift levels then some information can be exchanged. Rarely you actually explain driving actions through the keyboard.

if you want to become a drifter, go to events. You signed up for that drift fury event at charlotte, so then you will be a driftoer.

drift a 944 said:

good luck.

I have a 95 240sx with a r33 Series 2 RB25DET. 291hp at the wheels. Tein Super Drift Suspension. Tanabe sway bars, Tein tie rods & tie rod ends, Energy suspension master set.

The corner is pretty big, I'm not sure how big. I have video clips of me on it? I just need to figure out how to post them. Uhh I usually enter the corner between 37 and 40 mph.

240SicknessX said:
it sounds like you should be watching out for walls. and you should find an experienced person to ride with you so you can make the best of your track time.

"dont push it near the walls and you will be fine."
-e30 gangsta ~2004

Do not try to connect that S curve just yet. Get comfortable with sliding one corner at a time. Dont get caught by police and be smart about it. You have to walk before you run, if you cant walk you are going to fall on your face while running. Watch drift bible and master the simple shit first, all that beginner stuff you should be able to do with your eyes closed before you "drift".

Couldnt of said it better myself. :) Thanks for the quote have not heard that in forever.

Justin Duncklee said:
I have a 95 240sx with a r33 Series 2 RB25DET. 291hp at the wheels. Tein Super Drift Suspension. Tanabe sway bars, Tein tie rods & tie rod ends, Energy suspension master set.

The corner is pretty big, I'm not sure how big. I have video clips of me on it? I just need to figure out how to post them. Uhh I usually enter the corner between 37 and 40 mph.

thank god you dont have stock springs on that car. Do your self a favor and keep it safe or you will crash your car goooooood.

wait until the event and ask josh or someone to ride with you.

I think your problem is you are going too slow........ but dont try going faster, youll get messed up.

take little steps, slowly but surly you will get better. rather then trying to do something out of your skill range and crashing your car. shit happens.

np e30.

yeah his car is setup pretty dam good. as far as crashing, theres nothing to hit, sugar sand on both sides. hes entering at the right speed and he kills the first corner, there just kinda long and sweepy and not very wide. he'll get it. hey justin next time it rains try going into a parking alot and and practice manjing . that helped me out.

if there is nothing but sugar sand then let the good times roll............. is dis mofo on an open diff?

go faster.

alot of times i get weirded out on initiations and so i slow it down a little bit, then i fuck up because i dont have the momentum. go faster and it fixes alot of stuff.

USE WHAT EVER I SAY IN MODERATION. \ increase entry speed in steps of 3-4 mph.

240SicknessX said:
if there is nothing but sugar sand then let the good times roll............. is dis mofo on an open diff?

go faster.

alot of times i get weirded out on initiations and so i slow it down a little bit, then i fuck up because i dont have the momentum. go faster and it fixes alot of stuff.

USE WHAT EVER I SAY IN MODERATION. \ increase entry speed in steps of 3-4 mph.

i think he has a j30 diff.

is there anyway i can copy a page from google earth to show the s turn? its pretty freaking sweet and stuff/

its not power, i got the same power as him. Its momentum and being able to use the exit speed from the first corner to setup for the second. Im sure I would exit the first corner differently because i will connect the second one. opposed of just exiting a normal corner.

drift a 944 said:
you need to prepare yourself for the second turn while you are in the middle of the first turn..

once you have initiated you have to be reacting to what the car is about to do, not what its doing. very hard to explain. just remember that every action has a reaction, every action you make with the gas, brake and steering wheel will have a reaction from your car. pay close attention to everything you do during the drift, especially right before you mess up.

240SicknessX said:
go faster.

40 mph wont carry you thru that corner(if its the one im thinking of)...

footage may help us help you as well...in fact i know it will.

at least you arent understeering anymore :)

you mean be a proactive driver, not a reactive driver?

in my experiance it takes about 2 years to become a proactive driver. IMO unless you are super man

240SicknessX said:
you mean be a proactive driver, not a reactive driver?

in my experiance it takes about 2 years to become a proactive driver. IMO unless you are super man

very true...but no harm in warning him early :cool:

im ok at teaching new ppl in-car, but its super tough to explain over the web like you said. esp. not being able to see exactly what he is doing wrong blah blah blah...

and i dont think he is open dif...

I went there tonight and practiced. I took about 25 to 30 runs tonight and have footage of them all. And about 30 more clips from different days. I'll make a movie out of them tomorrow when I have time and post it on here. I think one of my problems is that I am running a 225/40/18 tire in the front and a 205/60/15 in the rear. When I put a different set of 18's on the rear I feel alot more control of the drift. Also I can connect the corners when I have the low pro 18's on. Could it be the the height of my sidewall on the 15's is making the tire bend and snap forcing the momentum of the car in different directions? I watched people drift on tires with huge sidewalls like mine and the tire seems to buckle when the car is drifting? I just noticed this today but maybe this has something to do with it?

Yes, this is an excuse for me sucking. but hey, I have to ask to see if low pro tires will help me drift.

thankyou for all the help guys! It really means alot!

Back
Top Bottom