Problem during full throttle boosting

Running a S13 Blacktop SR with: fmic, bov, full exhaust (3in), & walboro fuel pump, besides that everything else is stock. During full throttle the motor starts to sputter. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? :confused:

No boost controller installed. I was told the wastegate wouldn't allow over 10 psi (with the 3in exhaust)...which I was also told the ecu should have a map for...

Breaking up could be caused by numerous problems - too hot/cold of a plug or gap, vac/boost leak, tuning... etc...

start with buying a boost gauges.... from what you said it sounds like you dont have one. What pressure regulator are you running? You may be leaning the motor out therefore the motor stutters. Check timing and maybe get an AFC to tune a bit better

is there a pressure source to the actuator? lol stock fpr is fine, dont NEED an afc for a stock sr...

I do have a boost gauge installed. And the wastegate is T'd off of the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator and the manifold. Right now I'm running a NGK 5 series heat range plug because for some reason I've been unable to find a colder plug around town. More specifically the BKR-7e, so I'm waiting on a set I've ordered.

Boost leak, maybe tear/cut in IC couplers
Intake Manifold leaks? (*but this would be apparent even NOT under WOT)
BKR7E's gapped at .28 or .30?
Harness hacked or ?
It almost sounds like fuel pump or fuel related, but you said you had a walbro
I'm not sure if Acutator should be t-d from the FPR. try using the throttle body and check for cuts in vacuum lines.

Good luck with sourcing the problem. Keep us updated

Last edited:
ur kidding right? I hope u mean to monitor it

Why else would you have a fuel pressure gauge?!? Do you not monitor your fuel pressure on it? Check your fuel pressure at the rail while under boost to see if its within factory tolerances.

I do have a boost gauge installed. And the wastegate is T'd off of the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator and the manifold. Right now I'm running a NGK 5 series heat range plug because for some reason I've been unable to find a colder plug around town. More specifically the BKR-7e, so I'm waiting on a set I've ordered.

For one.. the plugs ur running are TOO HOT! Stop boostin wit those til u get the proper plugs! As for ur VAC lines... Get a nipple welded onto your hotpipe near the turbo for your wastegate actuator sourse - run a pretty nice sized line lets say 1/4" or 3/16" I.D. and ur BOV and FPR should have their own source without anything t'd off of them

For one.. the plugs ur running are TOO HOT! Stop boostin wit those til u get the proper plugs! As for ur VAC lines... Get a nipple welded onto your hotpipe near the turbo for your wastegate actuator sourse - run a pretty nice sized line lets say 1/4" or 3/16" I.D. and ur BOV and FPR should have their own source without anything t'd off of them

Where would you suggess I connect the boost gauge line?

Where would you suggess I connect the boost gauge line?
Buy a vacuum Block - they are inexpensive and do the jizzob or if u have an aftermarket intake mani (Greddy or Replica) they have predrilled/tapped ports for extra vac's

Goodluck

i have a vacuum block for sale! pm me if u need it!

- big mikes correct on the plug. stock sr runs 6 for heat range. please get a boost guage to monitor ur setup.

i also say do a boost leak test--
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/158784

what fuel pump are u running?

what are u using for a fuel filter?

whats fuel pressure at when the break-ups happening?

check ur voltage on the battery while the cars under load. sr's are very picky with voltage.(check battery/alternator output.)

answer these questions and we can further help u. thanks

Back
Top Bottom