need to change gas tank asap 1996

jdub39

i need some step by step instructions and possibly some pics if at all possible. i need to know where i should jack the car up? thanks

1. drop sub-frame
2. remove tank.
3. remove and replace fuel pump(s)
4. replace tank
5. replace sub-frame.

s13 is just steps 2,3, and 4.

shits not fun.

jack it up on the diff, and put jack stands under the rear to not get inthe way of the tank coming down.

open fuel pump access in trunk... unclamp fuel/return lines.
unbolt the gas fill tube (from gas door), i forget how many spots its attached, make sure its free to come down with tank.
there are 2 big metal straps holding it in... unblot the front side and the belts hinge on the rear mount spots.... so they will easily come down and release the tank down. make sure you have some way to nicely lower it if its full of fuel, shit is HEAVY.

putting one back in is harder than out... just make sure nothing is still holding it up besides the belts before you remove those, its a pain to get other stuff off while holding tank in place...

**estie says about subframe, ive never done s14 so listen to that. i only have done s13. with subframe coming out, put the jack stands in front of rear wheels a little? on frame rails i guess?

^Yea I helped jackson replace a s14 gas tank. Dropping the subframe just to get to the tank sucks ass. You should put in some solid subframe bushings while its out so you dont have to drop it again anytime soon...

it's hard and my suggestion is having another set of hand to help you. cuz it's gonna be a biatch taking the tank out.have the jack on the dif. then you can take off the drive shaft, remove the four bolt that hold the rear end to the body, drop the rear end. from here it't just nick nack stuffs. just remember which line goes where. have fun

Back
Top Bottom