Need for Speed: Shift - Sneak Preview

Wrecked Magazine

audirs4-exterior.jpg

It’s now time to forget everything you have ever known about the Need for Speed series. The new gaming engine that is utilized in Need for Speed Shift is three years in the making and it is going to re-invent simulation racing games as we know it. We were invited to a special sample test of the game where the EA staff let us play with the Audi RS4, Porsche GT2, and a Zonda. This game is going to win surely on the details.
AudiRS4-interior.jpg

porscheGT2-interior.jpg

The interior details have to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen. While your racing in car you can use the secondary joystick on the Xbox 360 to rotate your drivers head around the cabin. You can look down and watch your driver operating the pedals. While looking at your gauge cluster you will notice the revs on your tachometer operate just like a real car as the NFS team eliminated the smooth arcade like motions of simulation games past and now have bouncing revs like a real vehicle.
porscheGT2.jpg

porscheGT2-rear.jpg

The real amazing game play is when you focus outside the interior. The game makes you feel like your practically driving these expensive machines around a racetrack. On the faster cars like the GT2 and Zonda the car presents a great representation of acceleration G’s and braking G’s. The cars also represent an accurate version of understreer/oversteer that with some practice you can steer out of very easily. It just adds to the simulation level and realistic feel of this Need for Speed game.
zonda.jpg

My favorite feature is when you exit the in-car mode it keeps the car’s factory gauges on screen instead of putting some generic boring gauges on screen when your out of car. So if your playing with a Porsche GT2 and you leave in car mode you still see the GT2 factory gauges for speed and RPM’s.
Oh and I held out on the best part of the story for you guys, this over the top Need for Speed game simulation game will have a Drifting section! I cannot wait until it comes out in September so I can spend the whole off season driving in SHIFT.

More...

from what i can tell the graphics look nice, in car as well...would have to check out the physics though.

Yeah the closed race tracks and it not being on the streets kinda takes away from what NFS used to be. I miss the free roam haha

But other then that the game looks like a fixed up version of pro street :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom