How to replace AC Condenser?

vbgambini

Ive tried to search. Is there any write up on how to replace the AC Condenser on a S14? (Specifically 1998 240sx) I cant seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.

to answer your question
you must remove the radiator and fan shroud, then disconect both high side 3/8 lines that go to the condenser , after removing all the refrigerant from the system.......
there are 2 things you can do to get rid of the refrigerant
you can go to any mecanic shop wich normally auto repairs (not an a/c special shop) and for a fue dollars they will remove the refrigerant, or you can go to aa/c specialty pluce and pay up the ass for them to remove it, now problem with a/c specialty place , by law they must remove everything , leaving your system in a vacuum, so when you open (remove) a line it will equal the atmospheric presure and this will defenatly etroduce humidity in there cloging the filter or your expancion valve
THE LAW STATES THAT ANYTHING OVER 10 ONCES MUST BE RECOVERED...... a car system carries 835grams of liquid R134
do the math

to answer your question
you must remove the radiator and fan shroud, then disconect both high side 3/8 lines that go to the condenser , after removing all the refrigerant from the system.......
there are 2 things you can do to get rid of the refrigerant
you can go to any mecanic shop wich normally auto repairs (not an a/c special shop) and for a fue dollars they will remove the refrigerant, or you can go to aa/c specialty pluce and pay up the ass for them to remove it, now problem with a/c specialty place , by law they must remove everything , leaving your system in a vacuum, so when you open (remove) a line it will equal the atmospheric presure and this will defenatly etroduce humidity in there cloging the filter or your expancion valve
THE LAW STATES THAT ANYTHING OVER 10 ONCES MUST BE RECOVERED...... a car system carries 835grams of liquid R134
do the math

what he said:bigthumbu

Thanks for the help!!! I have no experience with any AC system, and by the sound of it, I don't want to mess with it and really mess up the system lol. Would it be cheaper to buy an AC Condenser and have it replaced? Or try an attempt to do it myself?? By the way im running a 1JZ in my 240sx, and i believe it is using a 240sx condenser. The 1J has nothing to do with what condenser I use right?

Last edited:
first of all why do you want to replace that condenser
let me get this straight, you have an s-chassis with a 1 j and want to have a/c
so now i need to know what compresor is installed on the block and does that compresor hook up to the lines on the car
one thing you need to know is , compresors are like car engine and are designed with a certain power rating, this power is regulated by the expansion valve............ this might be confusing and sound erelevant but things you might need to know to properly make this work......... back on what i was saying....... depending on all thi is the size of the condenser ,
so what i need to know are a fue things
1- why are you changing the condenser
2- what compresor is hooked up to it
3- what lines are there
4- did you remove anything from inside the cab
all this i need to know so i can help you if you want my help, its fairly simple it would be easier is you can get all the original nissan stuff on the 1j

I need a condenser because its hot in Miami lol and the condenser there now has a huge gash in it. Why I am clueless to whats going on is because I have no experience with AC systems, and 1JZ engines. I just bought the car and was told from the previous owner is that a stock Nissan 240sx condenser will work, all I need is a condenser and a charge is what I was told. It seems like an easy install, just want to make sure how to go about it so I don't mess up anything else, or is it that complicated to where I need a professional to do it? Will I need a brand new one? Used? I need help

well if everything is hooked up already and the condenser has a gash........ billfisher21 posted he has one and would install it. then just go get it vacumed and charged with refrigerant and see what happens

im in west palm but its a real shop so i charge 60 an hour condensor 40 bucks and i cant see it taking more than 2 hours. In a stock 240 with ka or sr its about 1.5 hrs vacuumed and recharged shouldnt be more than 2 hrs plus 40 for the condensor.

I got a 1JZ in it. So 80$ installed charged and ready to go? Might have to take you on that offer. Can I get the info on your shop? Add, number, name, etc? Thanks. But is ther anyone in the South FL area????

Last edited:
no u didnt understand 60$ per hour x2 = 120 + 40 for the condensor. = 160 give or take a little plus 10 bucks for freon. So 170 or less.

My bad, I calculated wrong. What if I bring the condenser to you? But let me see if I can find anyone around my area and I will definitly get back to you on that.

Back
Top Bottom