How do I remove an old pilot bearing?

rollordie

first of all is this necessary to install a pilot bearing, If I did a auto to 5spd swap?

And if so how do I install it?

And how to remove an existing pilot bearing?

The reason I ask is I already messed up my 1st 5spd tranny ( I think from not having a pilot bearing),
so before putting on the replacement tranny, I bought a pilot bearing from discount and it was like kinda of a misson to install. We had to hammer the crap out of it to get it to fit in the hole and ended up breaking the outer lip of it, but it went in.......now the shaft from the tranny and the alignment tool for the clutch wont even go in the hole.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Go to autozone. Rent a pilot bearing removal tool and a slide hammer.

When you get the tool. it looks like 2 L's laid back to back. You'll find that with the o ring rubber band holding them together they don't fit in the pilot bearing. remove the rubber band o ring and use one Side of the L inside the pilot bearing and attach it to the slide hammer. A few hits around the pilot bearing and it comes right out.

To install. Buy a new pilot bearing. Lube with grease. Use a Rubber mallet and a socket to gently knock new pilot bearing into place.

Done.

Last edited:
honestly I would just take it somewhere where there is a press. Spend about 10 bucks and have them press out the old and in w/ the new. Way quicker and prob cheaper than renting the tool. At least it is up here in Jville

driftfast180 said:
honestly I would just take it somewhere where there is a press. Spend about 10 bucks and have them press out the old and in w/ the new. Way quicker and prob cheaper than renting the tool. At least it is up here in Jville

are you crazy???????? Autozone tool rentals are free. You leave deposit and as long as you return the tool its free.

or stop being a pussy and just take a screwdriver and hammer it, they break real easily and then just get a socket about the same size as the new pilot bearing and tap it in until it sits flush

dan said:
or stop being a pussy and just take a screwdriver and hammer it, they break real easily and then just get a socket about the same size as the new pilot bearing and tap it in until it sits flush

FTW.

IVe been trying and trying for 2 weeks to get that damn tranny on from under the car......the other day I said F*** it...and pulled motor like in 10 mins by myself and raped the shit out of that automatic tranny bearing that i never knew existed !

well then I put the motor in, in like 30mins......BAM ! DONE ! ABOUT DAMN TIME !

Quick note......remove the motor for ANY tranny work......SO MUCH EASIER !

thanks guys for all the help.

and oh yeah RENT the puller tool...ITS THE SHIT !.........................But then I broke it cause it a P.O.S. ! well now I own a broken azz puller tool =)

lol

its not fun.. greg spent uber time on chucks tranny when he did this.. he was gettin mad :p

driftfast180 said:

Its a pilot bushing, which goes in the crank shaft, which is in the engine. you are not getting a press to install the pilot bushing.

torque converter bushing is .020" smaller diameter then the crank shaft inside diameter where the manual transmission pilot bushing goes. You can tap the manual bushing into or past the auto bushing but then the clutch alignment tool wont fit as you found out.

best way to remove a pilot bushing is with a slide hammer and the appropriate attachment.

im doing my 5speed now this is where im stuck, stupid auto bushing crap doesnt come out i have all tools that i rented out from autozone shit dont want come out... any advice

I just removed clutch and flywheel...then grabbed that auto bushing with a large pressure plier....and smacked the SHIT out of the pressure plier with a hammer.

KEYWORDS: "SMACKED THE SHIT"

i hit that shit like a bilions times by now, ma arms r fucking tired... that shit dont brake or comes out, i need my chuck norris gloves!!! :D ill keep tring till i get the shit out

:mad: still nothin :mad: fuk this break time

the easiest and safeist way it to have it pressed out and then you could just get a socket as large as the bearing and tap it in with a hammer or malet but if ya want to try beating it up till it comes out that all ya

what do u mean pressed out. how the hell do i do that

i want to know whats the difference from a MT pilot bushing and AT one...... i never seen a auto bushing b4, why cant i just stick the MT one and call it a day....damn this thing is sooooooo agraveting :mad: thanks for all the help

never mind i was seeing the whole time

Back
Top Bottom