DIY. steering rack bushings.

Choku_Dorian

DriftDestroyRebuildRepeat
Driver
S13 steering Rack Bushing Replacement:

tools needed: socket

Step 1 - get the front of the car off the ground.(lift or jacks). safety first as always.

step 2 - remove the 4 bolts from these locations:

step 3 - remove the brackets that mount the rack:

step 4 - pull out the old bushings. the driver side can be a headache:

you can see how worn out and crappy the old ones are.

note - Holding the rack up with a jack makes life 10x easier right now:

step 5 - slip on new bushings, again driver side will be annoying, esp with greasey fingers:

step 6 - slip the brackets back on, tighten them down and go for a test drive...

it was raining when i finished mine and there were cars blocking me in, so i havent test driven it yet... will edit how they feel later.

estimated time it will take, 30mins - 1 hour depending on experience, tools etc...

overall: its cake.

nice this should be a sticky or something like that. we should have a DIY write up thread that has all this kinda stuff in there

thanks good write up

i hate when people try to pull off write ups and dont have pics

plus im doing this next week already ordered mine where did you get yours?some need cutting did urs?

Devil Man said:
nice this should be a sticky or something like that. we should have a DIY write up thread that has all this kinda stuff in there

^^i agree with you.

screaming6 said:
thanks good write up

i hate when people try to pull off write ups and dont have pics

plus im doing this next week already ordered mine where did you get yours?some need cutting did urs?

i got mine off splparts.com. nope, mine fit beautifully. it looked like the drivers side wasnt long enough(was a gap where the slit was) but once i tightened down the braket over it, it squeezed right together.

gl with it man.

FWIW, i had the ES steering rack bushings and they seem like they don't fit until you tighten them down.

ok now why cant i see the thread on the list? im bumping this to see if i can find it haha

oh i see it made sticky stats that fast... whops hehe sry

Devil Man said:
i would do the dash bored removal but im sure that everyone knows how to do that.

im doing mine for the first time in the near future... i would appreciate it. :) i mean, i will get the dash off regardless... but it would be nice.

i helped my friend start his a long time ago, i just remember unscrewing like...500,000 screws/bolts.

Choku_Dorian said:
im doing mine for the first time in the near future... i would appreciate it. :) i mean, i will get the dash off regardless... but it would be nice.

i helped my friend start his a long time ago, i just remember unscrewing like...500,000 screws/bolts.

haha ok i will do it then.. there are a fair amout of screws...i will start the write up tommrow i think than.

i have taken them off so many times i can almost get it done in 30min haha.. my first time took me a while was flying blind! so i guess this would help

Back
Top Bottom