Diagnostic Epic Fail.....

jdmlenlen

Germany meets Japan
Driver
Though the R154 was giving out on me.. I start the car up this morning and I hear is kilnk klink klink bang... SQUEEEEEEEEKKKKKK ..... Reaction "What the fuck is that now. POS Car.... " My Crank pully is fully detached...

Suggestions???

crank1.jpg

crank2.jpg

Well hopefully it's one or the other problem.. If it' both, I'm definitely getting rid of the motor..

Last edited:
Awesome.. That a plus..

Actually reading right now, it's somewhat common on the 1j and 2j.. The rubber in the inside ring cracks and wears and pully just falls off..

Now its a question whether to run a harmonic balancer or aftermarket underdrive pulley?? I've had bad experiences with underdrive pulleys on other cars in the past.. Any more suggestions?

Last edited:
yea that is a common issue with JZ engines with the rubber in the crank pulleys. Just from wear and old age.

Unless you are going with a Fluidampr or ATI harmonic balancer... then stay with the stock one (those lightweight crank pulleys are garbage and will fuck your shit up). I have a stock one for $40

Last edited:
Actually after a while alot of crank pulleys that have rubber insulators go out after a while remember you really don't know how many miles the motor has. Go with a stock crankpulley if you use a aftermarket pulley made out of aluminum you will upset the crankshaft since its not balanced from factory.

Hmmm... That's what I figured. When working with Honda's and aftermarket crank pulleys, they have horrible tolerance. I've seen pulleys on b16's b18's b20's and H22's and on a few of my b's and my h's it just destroys main (crank) bearings(if you consider sliders bearing) (somewhat off topic), I don't want to test the crank of this motor at this time.. Some other time when I have resources of my disposal, TIME, and to make life easier a car lift so I can remove the engine and tranny.(I don't need a lift but it would be nice..)

I was wondering why my water temp was fluctuating when I took my disabled car to that Coral Springs meet last week.. Pulley was slipping and sliding fucking with my water pump..

GeneStarWindGSW, I'll hit you up for that crankpulley for $40 bucks.. I'll be in Miami this Wednesday and Friday

Damn lenny that 1j is trash time for a 2j!
Maybe real soon. I'm still waiting on the status of the tranny. If the tranny is finished, I'm just going to buy a 2j r154 combo from a reliable source. Factors subject to change depending on me finding time. Lately, I don't even have time to wipe my ass.. (I do, just an expression :) )

Thanks ALL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom